GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,827
4 members and 1,823 guests
Cookiez17, zluisswftz3482

Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Help!

I am rushing in the Fall at a competitive University as a sophomore. Fortunately, there is a sophomore quota this year! My worry is that a lot of my good friends are in sorority XYZ and people know that. I am afraid that everyone will assume I want to be in this sorority and cut me. I may be over-thinking it but please let me know your thoughts! By the way, I will be doing a live recruitment thread during the week yay!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushee1 View Post
I am rushing in the Fall at a competitive University as a sophomore. Fortunately, there is a sophomore quota this year! My worry is that a lot of my good friends are in sorority XYZ and people know that. I am afraid that everyone will assume I want to be in this sorority and cut me. I may be over-thinking it but please let me know your thoughts! By the way, I will be doing a live recruitment thread during the week yay!!
Some advice:

*Get recommendations, if you haven't already done so.

*Soph quota is great, but it doesn't = every soph getting a bid. Not saying that this is what you think, but I have read of PNMs mistakenly thinking that.

*Be sure to avoid talking about your friends in XYZ during recruitment. If every 3rd word is "my friends in XYZ" the chapter likely think exactly what you don't want them to think.

*Also, make sure your XYZ friends know that you're keeping an open mind. Sometimes, friends can mistakenly think that since you are BFFs, that you obviously are only interested in THEIR sorority. Be sure they understand that that's not the case for you, to avoid any hurt feelings or misunderstandings.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Some advice:

*Get recommendations, if you haven't already done so.

*Soph quota is great, but it doesn't = every soph getting a bid. Not saying that this is what you think, but I have read of PNMs mistakenly thinking that.

*Be sure to avoid talking about your friends in XYZ during recruitment. If every 3rd word is "my friends in XYZ" the chapter likely think exactly what you don't want them to think.

*Also, make sure your XYZ friends know that you're keeping an open mind. Sometimes, friends can mistakenly think that since you are BFFs, that you obviously are only interested in THEIR sorority. Be sure they understand that that's not the case for you, to avoid any hurt feelings or misunderstandings.
ditto.

Also, consider how you would answer the question "why do you want to be Greek?". Make sure the answer doesn't include any direct mention of your friends in XYZ.

As a side note, I rushed as a sophmore and most of my greek friends were in one of two houses. I joined a third house where I didn't know anyone prior to rush.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both so much, I am new to this website and I'm already obsessed! I got one recommendation and two letters for most of the houses so I am set on that. My friends absolutely know that I may or may not end up in their house but they "support me no matter what" which is awesome.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

A few other recommendations:

Don't do a live recruitment thread, write a diary, or type it up in an email but don't post it until afterward. You don't need the internet second guessing your recruitment choices. And you don't need to risk people playing the "guess the school" game and your identity getting revealed. We'd love to hear your story, but wait until you know how things turn out.

Relax. You sound prepared and excited. But don't let this site, or the anticipation of recruitment stress you out!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

With hundreds of pnms, why do you think that members of all the other sororities will know this about you?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I lived in a dorm with MANY many sorority girls so I developed relationships with at least a few girls in about half of the chapters. Most of the girls from my high school are in the sorority that I am afraid people may assume I am going to be in. I am sure that many believe this because people have said to me "oh you totally want to be an XYZ right?"
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Did you rush your freshman year?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to the University where I am going through Recruitment, I applied as a transfer and got in. I attended a school in the same city which is how I was able to live in the same housing.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that having a lot of good friends in any given sorority doesn't necessarily equal getting continued invitations (or a bid) from that chapter. Be prepared in case this happens.

Keep your heart open. I'm going to bet that you'll find a number of chapters that you like!