GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,210
1 members and 1,209 guests
madisondark6619

Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU transfer student rushing in the spring???

hey whats going on guys im currently a student at TCC and will be transfering into Florida State University as a finance major in this upcoming spring term in 2011 i have a couple questions about rushing into a fraternity and how FSU frats are regarding junior transfer since i know most students who rush are commonly freshmen and sophmores?? i just turned 21 and have a 3.7 gpa not sure if frats look into that or if it helps and i currently own an apartment with a roommate is it mandatory if you do join a frat to live in the houses, any info would be helpful thx
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

In a broad sense, it is going to be difficult and you need to go into the process with the understanding many chapters will likely not consider you due to your age alone. This is not personal- but just practical. The more sought-after chapters are going to have more suitable freshman candidates than they can possibly pledge. For you to take one of those spots, they would have to essentially decide to not bid someone who could pay dues for 4 years and possibly live in the house for a while.

There is also the matter of age. By second semester of junior year, it has been my experience that most fraternity members are slowing up on their daily involvement in a chapter. My senior year I lived in the house, and while I would go downstairs to check things out for a little while- I only really lived it up at maybe 20% of the parties. This was the norm. Guys in the chapter- especially the older ones- are going to wonder if you are really going to have the interest level in pledgeship and active involvement if you start at a point when many guys are looking to life beyond college.

There are other more subjective factors as well, such as people wondering why you waited so long, transferred etc.- but those vary by chapter and individual, so deal with those as they come and just keep in mind that your primary hurdles are what I mention above.

That said, juniors and even seniors do pledge every year at Georgia and Texas- the schools with which I have had direct personal experience as an active and advisor. It is rarer, and it tends to happen in smaller chapters, but it is a regular occurrence.

It all comes down to what you want. If you are open to a variety of options and would be happy joining a smaller group without the massive social schedule- but where you still have a good brotherhood- then go for it and your age alone should not close every door.

But if you are looking to join a very large and competitive chapter and have the "big experience", I have to be honest and say that is going to be extremely difficult unless you have some good friends in chapters like that who will go to bat for you when the bidding decisions are made. These chapters are going to need to see compelling evidence for why you should get a bid at this point in your college career.

One good step right now would be to contact the FSU Greek Life office and ask how many fraternities took spring pledge classes last year. Not sure if you can get more specifics, but if you can- ask the average spring class size versus fall and maybe even chapter names if you can. (As an advisor I see all this stuff for my school every semester, but have no idea how publicly available it is.) That will at least give you a statistical picture of what is theoretically possible.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the info and i appreciate your honesty, i def want some type of greek life those last two years but i understand my positioning hopefully theres some FSU members here that might be able to let me know if its any different here than where you had experience at
Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

At our school you can see which fraternities added spring pledges because they make grade averages public and these documents have the number of members with pledges in a separate category. It varies from year to year.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunknMIA23 View Post
hey whats going on guys im currently a student at TCC and will be transfering into Florida State University as a finance major in this upcoming spring term in 2011 i have a couple questions about rushing into a fraternity and how FSU frats are regarding junior transfer since i know most students who rush are commonly freshmen and sophmores?? i just turned 21 and have a 3.7 gpa not sure if frats look into that or if it helps and i currently own an apartment with a roommate is it mandatory if you do join a frat to live in the houses, any info would be helpful thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunknMIA23 View Post
thanks for the info and i appreciate your honesty, i def want some type of greek life those last two years but i understand my positioning hopefully theres some FSU members here that might be able to let me know if its any different here than where you had experience at
QFWTP?

Last edited by ree-Xi; 08-27-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: ETA: Where's The Punctuation
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Transfers from TCC are common and you'll be of an age similar to many of the older members. It shouldn't be an issue with most chapters.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

PenguinTrax is absolutely right about FSU. With the return of SigEp this coming spring, FSU will have 25 IFC fraternities. Many of the chapters are very large, and every fraternity at FSU takes a spring pledge class. FSU has large incoming transfer classes and many join fraternities, so you should have no trouble gaining entry to any of the chapters. The key of course, is to pledge where you're welcomed and accepted and where you feel at home.
IFC sets up a specific week for rushees to go around to the various fraternities. Access is easy because most of the houses are concentrated in one of two locations: either Heritage Grove or the College Avenue area. You should have no anxiety whatsoever. Piece of cake.