GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,280
0 members and 1,280 guests
No Members online

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about joining a sorority this Fall 11 at MTSU ? Question/Advice

Hello. My name is Madysen. I was thinking about joining a sorority this fall at Mtsu. It will be my first actual year as a freshman at college. I went to a high school at a college taking college classes but I never was an actual college student. So I am excited. I have been thinking about joining a sorority lately. It seems like a great way to gain friendships that will last for a long time.

My questions are :
-How does the whole rush thing work?
-On the MTSU website the sorority clubs state, "The first four nights will consist of: Values Night, Philanthropy Night, Theme Night, and Preference Night, followed by Bid Day." If anyone knows what the events are, could you explain them to me?
-How much does it roughly cost?

And how if you could explain to me your experience, and some encouragement?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-03-2011, 06:26 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Good starting point about how recruitment (rush) works generally.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

based on your information, about MTSU rush:

Values night-could be learning about their creed, sisterhood events they hold, study halls they might hold, or learning in general about sororities and panhellenic at MTSU.
you would visit each sorority.

Phil. night- you will learn about each sorority's national philanthropy, as well as any local charities they might support and you might make something(placemats for a nursing home, toiletry baskets for an abused women's shelter). if they do craft, please do not think that your creativity is being judged-it's not. you might get to return to all the sororities, or you might get to choose only a couple.

Theme night-they might present a skit, sing sorority songs, etc. you would return to less sororities than the night before.

Pref. night-the most formal night-they usually hold a beautiful ceremony that is pretty serious, where you will learn what their sorority means to them. it is sort of a glimpse into their ritual. You would return to the least amount on this night. After these parties, your recruitment group meets back up with your recruitment counselors and they explain the bid process to you. If you are allowed to attend a maximum of 2 pref. parties and you have invitations to 2, and attend both parties, you would rank those 2 sororities as #1 and #2, and you agree that you would accept a bid to either sorority. Sometimes you get your first choice, but some girls will receive a bid from their #2 choice. No matter what, give the sorority that gives you a bid, a chance. After all, they liked you well enough to give you a bid.

Bid Day-

As I previously stated, the first round, you attend all the sororities. Depending on how your school does it, after you attend the last party of this round, you will return to your recruitment group and you will rank the sororities as to which ones you would prefer to return to. Say there are 8 sororities on your campus. you attend all 8 for the first round, and for the next round you are allowed to attend 6 parties. you might rank your 6 favorite as #1's and then the remaining 2 chapters as #2 and #3. Panhellenic does this so in the hopes that all the pnms will get to return to the maximum sororities-in this case 6. Should one of your 6 #1 chioces not invite you back, Panhellenic would then go to your #2 sorority list and if your name is on their invitation list, you would attend 5 of your #1 choices and your #2 choice. Some girls will be able to attend 6 parties, and other girls will not have a full schedule. That is okay though, because in the end, you can only join one sorority anyway, and we GCer's always recommend that you accept any invitations you receive, keep an open mind, and give each sorority a chance.

Each night you typically go to less sororities, but spend more time with the sororities you see again. Pref. night MTSU may allow pnms to attend 2 or 3 parties maximum.

Bid day is when the pnms(potential new members) receive a bid(invitation) to join a sorority. You only get one bid.

As to costs, you would have to get that information from MTSU panhellenic.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.