GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 900
0 members and 900 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas Tech recruitment....what to wear?

Hi, all!

I was curious if anyone had personal insight regarding what to wear during Texas Tech's fall recruitment. They have guidelines, but it seems to cover a wide range, does anyone have specific ideas? (August in Texas is fairly brutal, mind you)

The days are as follows:
Day 1: School spirit shirt
Day 2: Casual sundress, or skirt and top
Day 3: Church attire
Day 4: After 5 attire

I'm not accustomed to dressing up all that often. I feel completely in the dark about how to put something together, and the recruitment process is super competitive.

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by ekl; 06-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2011, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going through Texas Tech recruitment in the fall, and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. After talking to several people from my local panhellenic, and from girls in sororities at Texas Tech, like at the orientation organization fair and at a meeting set up by my local panhellenic, I've learned a few things. First, there have been rumors going around that we're going to be given a shirt to wear on Day One, so a favorite texas tech shirt isn't that big of a deal because chances are we aren't going to need it, but bring one just in case. Just wear a nice pair of jeans and flats with it. I was also told that strapless dresses are not frowned upon and that everyone wears them, so don't worry about modesty as long as your boobs and butt are covered. Lastly, bring heels to change into for when you go into the rush houses, but wear flipflops or something comfy to walk in in-between houses for each day. As for dress each day, just dress like it says. For example, Day Four would be a cocktail dress. In other words, its a fancy dress that's short.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

but remember ladies, a cocktail dress does NOT mean a dress that you would wear to go clubbing. no sequins, slits to the navel or up to the crotch, no backless dresses. you are trying to impress women, not men, so dress with that in mind. think classy.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

I know that Tech may not be New York City in terms of religious diversity, but it would be really nice if public-school panhellenics threw a bone to non-Christians and said something like "Church or temple attire" or "Dress as you would for a religious service." If I were a non-Christian PNM living in Lubbock, I'm sure I could figure out what "Church attire" means, but that instruction might make me feel even more outside of the mainstream of recruitment.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM

I've ranted about that before, and I don't think that attire for ANY religion should be mentioned in this day & age, not only because some people don't practice a certain one or any of them, but because some people dress like absolute slobs to go there. Naming fabrics and styles would be much more helpful and appropriate.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I've ranted about that before, and I don't think that attire for ANY religion should be mentioned in this day & age, not only because some people don't practice a certain one or any of them, but because some people dress like absolute slobs to go there. Naming fabrics and styles would be much more helpful and appropriate.
In SGR we tell aspirants to come dressed in business attire: suits, dress pants, skirts, tops, sensible shoes (no flip-flops) - the type of clothes one would wear to a job interview.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

From our style show - we partner with White House, Black Market:

http://www.katypanhellenic.org/dyncat.cfm?catid=3107

eta - I wish college panhellenics would post examples of appropriate dress on their websites.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 06-27-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
From our style show - we partner with White House, Black Market:

http://www.katypanhellenic.org/dyncat.cfm?catid=3107
Hijack/

love the sample resume! Very clever.

/end hijack
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
In SGR we tell aspirants to come dressed in business attire: suits, dress pants, skirts, tops, sensible shoes (no flip-flops) - the type of clothes one would wear to a job interview.
Exactly and there's a reason there aren't NPHC threads about how to dress for the informational/rush/interview/whatever.

That doesn't mean that every NPHC aspirant knows what to wear. It means that they know how to either ask someone, figure it out, or they are clueless yet prepared to be called out when members see what they are wearing. I have seen that happen and it was hilarious.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaliz View Post
I'm going through Texas Tech recruitment in the fall, and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. After talking to several people from my local panhellenic, and from girls in sororities at Texas Tech, like at the orientation organization fair and at a meeting set up by my local panhellenic, I've learned a few things. First, there have been rumors going around that we're going to be given a shirt to wear on Day One, so a favorite texas tech shirt isn't that big of a deal because chances are we aren't going to need it, but bring one just in case. Just wear a nice pair of jeans and flats with it. I was also told that strapless dresses are not frowned upon and that everyone wears them, so don't worry about modesty as long as your boobs and butt are covered. Lastly, bring heels to change into for when you go into the rush houses, but wear flipflops or something comfy to walk in in-between houses for each day. As for dress each day, just dress like it says. For example, Day Four would be a cocktail dress. In other words, its a fancy dress that's short.

It's generally amusing to watch the blind lead the blind. Carry on.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Hijack/

love the sample resume! Very clever.

/end hijack

May I brag a little about our awesome recruitment committee? They do an incredible job. Katy pnms are PREPARED!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
It's generally amusing to watch the blind lead the blind. Carry on.
May I ask, what in my post do you disagree with?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaliz View Post
May I ask, what in my post do you disagree with?
1. Repeating rumors...
2. Modesty = boobs & butt covered
3. After 5 = formal that is short

She was looking for something more definitive than more speculation from other PNMs.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I've found most of this really helpful, thanks for all of your input, ladies!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to those of you rushing at TTU. Ignore AlphaFrog. She gives us all a bad name. Bitter, bitter, bitter and not representative, in my opinion, of the Greek community.

The only thing I have seen on this thread that I would caution about -- on the first day you WILL wear a PNM shirt but no one will be wearing jeans. Rather than jeans, most girls will be wearing shorts with those shirts.
Strapless dresses on pref night are definitely acceptable. Think Phoebe Couture, Marc Jacobs, BCBG, Nicole Miller, Tory Burch. No more than a few inches above the knees and, yes, proper foundations are expected. And they are worth it.

You will also see some strapless dresses prior to pref night. Think Lily, J. Crew,Madewell by J.Crew, Phoebe Couture, and Tory Burch. Perhaps even a dress from Anthropologie.
Obviously, you'll want to wear your flip flops from the bus to the houses, and you'll want to have your essentials bag properly stocked.