GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,293
3 members and 1,290 guests
KatieKate1244, MethrenLusia, navane

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

New alum chapter / dues

My GLO started new alum chapter in the city where I live (same city that I attended university and GLO still on campus). I keep getting emails asking for payment of alum chapter dues. Am I obligated to pay these dues? I have paid my International alum dues and I do not want to join the alum chapter. (I do have personal reasons for not wanting to be involved but that is another story).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternAlumn View Post
My GLO started new alum chapter in the city where I live (same city that I attended university and GLO still on campus). I keep getting emails asking for payment of alum chapter dues. Am I obligated to pay these dues? I have paid my International alum dues and I do not want to join the alum chapter. (I do have personal reasons for not wanting to be involved but that is another story).
That's ballsy of them. Did you go to any meetings with the local group at all?

Did you have a one time collegiate fee that is called alum dues? (My GLO does, I thought maybe that might be it) If so, did you pay it?

Are these coming from the local alum chapter, or from the Int'l office?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Contact your IHQ/NHQ and ask this question.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's ballsy of them. Did you go to any meetings with the local group at all?

Did you have a one time collegiate fee that is called alum dues? (My GLO does, I thought maybe that might be it) If so, did you pay it?

Are these coming from the local alum chapter, or from the Int'l office?
Yes, I was a member of the local chapter of my GLO. I was an advisor of the local chapter as well. I have yet to attend anything for the local alum chapter.

As an alum, I paid alum dues to my International.

These emails are coming from the local alum chapter, not from International.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Contact your IHQ/NHQ and ask this question.
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to avoid that. I think I would sound silly asking them if I should paying alum chapter dues (my guess is that they would want their alum to get involved with their alum chapters).
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to avoid that. I think I would sound silly asking them if I should paying alum chapter dues (my guess is that they would want their alum to get involved with their alum chapters).
With all due respect (disclaimer), to me you sound sillier asking this question on Greekchat. People on Greekchat can type anything based on what they do with their own GLO or their personal opinion. The GLO that you pay International dues to has the real and correct answer.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was a member of the local chapter of my GLO. I was an advisor of the local chapter as well. I have yet to attend anything for the local alum chapter.

As an alum, I paid alum dues to my International.

These emails are coming from the local alum chapter, not from International.
That's all I need to know. Send them this email:

"Dear BallsyLocalAlumChapter:

I am unable to be an active member of the local alumnae chapter at this time. (Throw in stuff about work or family commitments if it has a soupcon of truth in it) If my circumstances change and I can participate fully, I will contact you. Until then, please remove my name from your mailing lists. Good luck with the new chapter!

Yours in ABC,
WesternAlumn"

When I started an alum chapter, I did send notifications to local people, but NOT a request for dues right off the bat. I'm hoping these girls are just young and overly gung ho rather than assuming things they shouldn't.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
With all due respect (disclaimer), to me you sound sillier asking this question on Greekchat. People on Greekchat can type anything based on what they do with their own GLO or their personal opinion. The GLO that you pay International dues to has the real and correct answer.
NPC alumnae chapters, as a rule, operate much more loosy-goosiley than NPHC graduate chapters. Her international will do nothing but give her a big spiel about supporting the new chapter, and she doesn't need that. No one is compelled to pay dues to an organization they aren't participating in (especially when she has already paid her int'l dues, which I'm wagering many of her alum sisters don't bother to do).
Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

i agree with 33. let the local alum. chapter know (politely, of course) that you can't participate at this time.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When I started an alum chapter, I did send notifications to local people, but NOT a request for dues right off the bat. I'm hoping these girls are just young and overly gung ho rather than assuming things they shouldn't.
I'm with you on this one. As the president of my alumnae chapter, I don't wrangle new members into paying right away...nevermind asking people who don't even attend at all!

.....Kelly

True and Constant