GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,196
0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Cut by 9/10 sororities: Should I quit while I'm still ahead?

I am at a competitive school where about 50% of the women here are Greek. Originally, I had no idea I thought I wanted to be in a sorority, but after registering for recruitment, I became really drawn into the system for a variety of reasons. However, as I was trying to get adjusted to school and was frequently sick, I wasn't really able to attend events and get to know any of the members. I also didn't get around to asking for recs, which in hindsight, I probably should have done.

Yesterday, display round came and went. I thought I did pretty well, but I was considering that I was going go get released immediately. I dismissed it as me worrying excessively. However, today I saw my schedule and saw that I was invited back to only one sorority.

I'm not going to lie and say that I wasn't upset. Even though I never intended to get into the "top" sororities, I think it was pretty devestating seeing how everyone else had cut me too. However, I guess this stuff happens and there's no point in asking why since I'm never going to find out. Also, although it wasn't my #1 choice, I did genuinely like the sorority, and I would be glad if they asked me back.

Still, I'm wondering if it's time to cut my losses. Based on what I saw today, I think I'm very high at risk from being cut from this last sorority, and even if I make it to pref night, I feel like my chances of receiving a bid would be pretty slim. I'm thinking it might be better to go back during fall rush more prepared and with recs in hand.

What are you guys's thoughts on this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishspeakers View Post
I am at a competitive school where about 50% of the women here are Greek. Originally, I had no idea I thought I wanted to be in a sorority, but after registering for recruitment, I became really drawn into the system for a variety of reasons. However, as I was trying to get adjusted to school and was frequently sick, I wasn't really able to attend events and get to know any of the members. I also didn't get around to asking for recs, which in hindsight, I probably should have done.

Yesterday, display round came and went. I thought I did pretty well, but I was considering that I was going go get released immediately. I dismissed it as me worrying excessively. However, today I saw my schedule and saw that I was invited back to only one sorority.

I'm not going to lie and say that I wasn't upset. Even though I never intended to get into the "top" sororities, I think it was pretty devestating seeing how everyone else had cut me too. However, I guess this stuff happens and there's no point in asking why since I'm never going to find out. Also, although it wasn't my #1 choice, I did genuinely like the sorority, and I would be glad if they asked me back.

Still, I'm wondering if it's time to cut my losses. Based on what I saw today, I think I'm very high at risk from being cut from this last sorority, and even if I make it to pref night, I feel like my chances of receiving a bid would be pretty slim. I'm thinking it might be better to go back during fall rush more prepared and with recs in hand.

You already said you were at a very competitive school. Apparently someone liked you--right? I think you should stick it out (or you'll never know) because it really only takes one bid. Who cares about 9 other sororities letting you go, this one that has invited you back liked something about you. You can do it. I'm sure there would be tons of girls who would love to be in your shoes (with that one sorority). Good luck and please come back and tell us what happened.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

The question to ask yourself is "Would I rather not be Greek AT ALL than be in this one chapter?"

If you're okay with going through again and potentially getting the same result or not getting a bid AT ALL, then by all means, withdraw and try again next year.

I don't mean to be negative, just want to be honest about what you'd potentially be facing and that you may not get a better result.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Stay in. If you're where I think you are, there are no bad sororities. It only takes one.

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-06-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Stay in. If you're where I think you are, there are no bad sororities. It only takes one.
Is it ok to reveal where I am?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
This is different from what we usually see, because usually PNM's are like "I have one chapter and don't like it". This OP is more like "I have one chapter and I'm worried they will cut me too". OP, stick it out. The way the system is set up at the vast majority of schools, it's very likely that you will receive a bid if you stick with it. Do that.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Is it ok to reveal where I am?
We usually advise women not to do so until they have a bid in hand.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

If she's where I think she is, she will get a bid if she makes it to pref.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there's a very good chance I know where you go because I go there too. Trust me, the cuts are steep but it's not a lie to say that every sorority here is amazing. It only takes one so stick it out as long as you can. Fall recruitment is a. More competitive and b. only a small handful (like 2-3) houses actually take girls in the fall. Best of luck!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I know where she is too. Stick it out, Fishspeakers. Pretend the other 9 don't exist. Put your best foot forward. Best of luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughluv View Post
I think there's a very good chance I know where you go because I go there too. Trust me, the cuts are steep but it's not a lie to say that every sorority here is amazing. It only takes one so stick it out as long as you can. Fall recruitment is a. More competitive and b. only a small handful (like 2-3) houses actually take girls in the fall. Best of luck!
You guessed right.

Thanks for the info on fall rush. I was trying to find info about it, but I couldn't find anything online.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe I know where you are, too. Please stay with it. Many amazing PNMs have found themselves with "only one" -- but that's all it takes! As DeltaBetaBaby said, we often see PNMs in this situation who AREN'T happy with the sorority they have left. You do like this group, so I agree with the others here that you should stick with the process. I really wish you all the best!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

So sorry about the heavy cuts, but I wish you the best of luck and do hope you will stick it out. We are pulling for you! Let us know your outcome!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will continue going (I have only one party anyways :P) and see what happens.

I think I'm not so sad about being cut by so many houses, but I was rejected by the one I really liked. But I guess I didn't know any of them that well, so it wasn't really based on much.

Right now I haven't heard anything from my Gamma Chi, so I think I am safe for now. I am glad that chapter decided to take a chance with me.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Fishspeakers,
I know that everyone says it, but it really only takes one. My daughter recently went through recruitment and had only one house to attend for preference. She wanted to drop out. Her Rho Gamma convinced her to stay in and she absolutely loves her house and can not think of herself anywhere else. I know you are not at pref yet, but keep a stiff upper lip. As I said to my daughter, "Forget the others. These girls saw something in you which they liked." Good luck tonight, and please let us know what happens.