GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,385
2 members and 1,383 guests
Craigwex, SigmaChiCard

Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM
xopageantlovexo

UCF FALL Recruitment

Last edited by xopageantlovexo; 01-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

All right, whose idea of a joke is this? It's too early in the morning for this stuff!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopageantlovexo View Post
Hi Everyone! I have been reading post on this site for about a week now and I figured it was time to make an account myself and ask all the questions I would like to ask. I am transferring to UCF in the fall from LSU. I will be a sophmore at UCF majoring in Radio-Television. My goal is to become a motivation television show host I compete in pageants for the Miss Universe Organization. I have a lot of pageant friends that are in sororities, and I figured since I am going to be new to UCF joining a sorority would be a great opportunity to get involved in campus, in the community, and make new friends and memories that I know will last a lifetime. I really want to be apart of something special and I have a feeling that joining the Panhallenic community at UCF is just the beginning : I've done my research on all of the sororities at UCF and I can honestly say that just by judging the Facebook Fan Pages and the sorority websites that I feel that I can honestly belong in any of the houses, so I have a completely open mind about rush! I absolutely loved what I saw on each sororities website and I love what each of them stand for so I know that I will find the right house during rush week. I am so excited. I know recruitment isn't until the second week of August, but I am one of those people that like to stay organized and when I have a goal, I like to prepare myself months in advance for it both mentally and physically I have tons and tons of questions that I am going to post below and I am looking forward to getting help and advice from all of you. Thank you all so much in advance! Also for these questions and any questions I have in the future please do not sugar coat anything. Since I do pageants I have very tough skin so do not be afraid to hurt my feelings if I post a link to an outfit I want to wear on a certain day or something like that. I am on this site to get as much constructive feedback as possible.I promise I will not be offended or anything I trust you all and I really appreciate you all taking the time to read my thread and answer my questions

Question 1: So as I mentioned before I have a lot of friends in sororities. My sister queen is an alumni for Zeta Tau Alpha, therefore I will be getting a recommendation letter from her. Is there such thing as having to many letters of recs? I am going to post below, each sorority at UCF and I will list how many alumni's I know in each sorority that will be willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Please let me know if I have too many for each sorority.

Kappa Kappa Gamma: Two Letters Of Recommendation
Kappa Delta: Ten Letters Of Recommendation
ADPI: Two Letters Of Recommendation
AEPhi: Zero Letters Of Recommendation (My campus tour guide is an AEPhi and after my tour she showed me around campus even more and I spent the entire day with her. She was awesome and made me even more excited about Greek Life, I would be perfectly happy being in her sorority and I'd love for her to be my big, but yes I know I'm thinking way ahead haha)

Alpha Xi Delta: One Letter Of Recommendation
Chi Omega: Five Letters Of Recommendation
Delta Delta Delta: Eight Letters Of Recommendation
Delta Zeta: One Letter Of Recommendation
Kappa Alpha Theta: Zero Letters Of Recommendation
Pi Beta Phi: Two Letters Of Recommendation
Zeta Tau Alpha: Three Letters Of Recommendation

Question 2: How does the selection process work? I've heard different things from different people,and I just want someone to confirm it with me. I've heard that just because you drop a sorority doesn't mean that you wont get them the next day. Can someone explain to me how it works haha

Question 3:Wardrobe. I'm one of those girls that loves wearing, cute high waisted shorts and color block it with a cute blouse tucked in with a belt, wedges, bangles, and earrings. That's my usual attire. Or like white,pink,blue or any bright colored skin jeans white a cute top and wedges or color blocked heels. One of the days we have during the week is called Greek Forum. In the recruitment book it says to wear casual yet comfortable clothing. Do yall think this is a little dressy for Greek Forum (which is the first day of recruitment) or is it better to be kinda dressed up then way too dressed down? About two weeks before recruitment week I plan on posting my outfits on here and getting opinions from you guys

Question 4: Is there a way for me to take notes of each sorority that I like while I'm at recruitment so I can for sure remember them whenever I am picking the houses I'd like to go back to each day? Or no?

Question 5: If I know a girl in a certain sorority, whenever I go to her sorority house, I was thinking it would probably be best if I talked to the other girls in the house instead of her just because she already knows who I am, and what I stand for, so it would be best for me to put myself out there and get to know the girls that I do not know right? Or should I talk to her because that way i'll be safe and wont have the chance to give a bad impression to any of the girls who don't know me?

Question 6: If I am living with one of the girls that are already in a sorority, what am I suppose to do? Should I go stay at a friends house during sorority recruitment? Or would it be ok if I stayed in my house?

Question 7: What kind of photo should I submit? Since I compete in pageant I have a lot of professional headshots, but I don't want to be known as the pageant girl, because theres so much more to me than that.So should I submit just a normal photo of myself off of my facebook or a professional headshot that I have?

Question 8: What is the most important things to remember before going through recruitment?

Question 9: What is the one or two things you didn't know before going through recruitment that you wish you knew while going through?

Thank you guys so much! I seriously appreciate all of your help in advance and I will keep everyone up to date xoxo
tl/dr

qfp b/c someone is gonna yell if it isn't, and I can always go back and delete this, right?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I'll try to answer a few

Question 2. Selection: at the end of each round of parties you will rank each of the sororities whose parties you attended in the order you'd like to return to them. So first day you rank all 11. The next set you can attend 8 parties. If the first 8 in your ranking offer you invitations then you attend those parties. If one or more of your first 8 do not offer an invitation then they move to your 9th and so on until you either have a full schedule of 8 parties or no more invitations. This happens after each set.

Question 5. Don't worry about who you talk to. Each chapter will have someone to be your hostess. It may or may not be someone you already know. She will introduce you to other members.

Question 6. That's a question for the UCF Greek life office. I'm sure they have a policy in place and will advise you.

Good luck!!

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 01-16-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll answer as best as I can but these are generic answers because I'm not familiar with your school.

1. 2-3 recs are probably sufficient. I'm not sure any group wants to get 10. I would pick the 2-3 people who know you best and will write you the best recommendation and go with them.

2. Yes, you can have a chapter ranked last and be invited back to the Chapter based on your other invites. Having a second chance to take a look at a Chapter is never a bad thing. Sometimes people have a completely different experience the second time around.

3. I would look at Facebook, the recruitment book and other references when deciding what to wear. You could also ask some of the people you know now before school gets out.

4. Typically you can take notes between parties. On some campuses Pan provides you with booklets. Some girls will use their phone if they don't take it away. I would come with a small notebook and pen just in case. I would keep notes on how the Chapter made you feel and be as detailed as possible. Trust me, you will be tired at the end of the day and your memory will be foggy.

5. question answered above.

6. question answered above. And ask her about the Greek Forum wardrobe.

7. Casual head shot and not a pageant photo. You want them to recognize you when you walk in the door.

8. Have fun! Be opened minded. Treat each day as if it is the first day of recruitment and the invites you have are the only Chapters on campus. Trust the system and if you get to the end and can not possibly see yourself in any of the Chapters you have left walk away and don't come back here and whine that you were released from recruitment because you weren't. You had options that you decided not to use. Don't listen to tent talk it is not always accurate and it is ALWAYS some one else's opinion.

9. I'm so old I don't remember.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure if rec's are required over at UCF. My friend is an ADPi over there so I could always ask her if this person really wants to know. As for AEPhi at UCF, they are one of those chapters that try to keep a high jewish %, just letting you know (if I am not allowed to say that someone let me know). Other than that I don't know enough about the school to fully help but I have a route where I can help.

UCF does Spring Formal recruitment. If you are serious just PM me and I can ask my friend
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

This is another parody post right?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

A pageant girl?? We are not impressed. We could be talking about Katherine Webb, or we could be talking about Honey Boo Boo.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopageantlovexo View Post
Question 2: How does the selection process work? I've heard different things from different people,and I just want someone to confirm it with me. I've heard that just because you drop a sorority doesn't mean that you wont get them the next day. Can someone explain to me how it works haha
You are RANKING sororities in the order of how you like them after each round. Drop is an incorrect term. You will never be dropping a sorority. The sorority drops you.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Couldn't the "lot of pageant friends that are in sororities" answer these questions or vet clothing choices?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Recs. will be helpful at UCF. Having 8-10 recs.(anywhere) you run the risk of being known as "Rec. Girl"-not a good thing.
A couple of recs. should suffice.

Formal recruitment for UCF is in the FALL, prior to the first day of class.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
tl/dr

qfp b/c someone is gonna yell if it isn't, and I can always go back and delete this, right?
Thank you for your outstanding ability to predict the future, AzTheta! I would have hated to lose this priceless star on GC
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Thank you for your outstanding ability to predict the future, AzTheta! I would have hated to lose this priceless star on GC

yeah, that's me: Michelle Whitedove in my other life.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
As for AEPhi at UCF, they are one of those chapters that try to keep a high jewish %, just letting you know (if I am not allowed to say that someone let me know).
Survey says: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Membership selection is private.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Disregard my post, I'm just a fraternity guy here thinking I know a bit about a college my friend just transferred to.