GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,119
0 members and 1,119 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

IU "tier" talk

Hi Ladies,
Newbie Here, Newbie Here! My question has probably been answered here before but I can't seem to find it when I search. Perhaps I'm not doing it right.
My daughter will be a freshman at IU in the fall and is interested in going through rush so I have been doing a little research so we can figure out how things work. So I have read various things online about IU recruitment and I think I have figured out enough to know that, in a nutshell, one should ignore the "tier" talk, put your best foot forward to all the chapters, try to figure out which houses you would feel most comfortable, maximize your options and hope that you are one of the few to get a bid. Know up front that it will be tough especially since she is not a legacy and only knows 1 girl in a house currently. So I passed what I learned on to DD. Her question was.....what is "tier"? And I guess I really don't know. She says she and I are "dumb and dumber" which is probably not too far off base.
I guess this "tier" thing applies to any university, but maybe it differs from school to school? Does it refer strictly to popularity, i.e., appearances, money, or some other superficial thing? Or does it mean something completely different, i.e., most leadership positions on campus, longevity of the chapter, or something like that?
Thank you in advance for any light you might shed on the issue.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Great question!

"Tier talk" (also known as "tent talk") is gossip. It is an implication that certain sororities are "better" or "more popular" than others. It's all based on local perception, so yes, the chapter of ABC may be considered top tier at State University and maybe lower tier at Preppy College. However, as early as a semester later or a couple of years down the line, the perception flips again. It's all local gossip. Your daughter is wise to ignore it and go into recruitment with an open mind during each round.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome! You've come to a good place to learn and ask questions.

Not to give you a coronary or scare your daughter away, but you will probably want to read this if you haven't already.

It will give you a real view of what recruitment is like at IU. It's a fascinating read.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and by the way, your daughter (and your friends probably) will absolutely know for sure that ABC chapter is about to get kicked off campus, or they have a girl who is honest to god's truth a prostitute. The more crazy the allegation the more to turn a blind eye.

As opposed to the rest of life, the best defense is NOT a good offense here. Her best defense is to keep her mouth shut and say lalalalalalala in her head whenever the rumors start flying.

Tiers speaks to who is best, who's next best and who is worst on campus, and it is utterly in the eye of the beholder. The chapters at IU vary wildly in terms of chapter size by their own choice. As far as I can tell, no chapters at IU are struggling for numbers or getting the girls they want. At all. Some may say the ones with cheerleaders are the best one, but what if your daughter is utterly not the cheerleader type? She might possibly HATE those groups. Or she might love them. That's why she should keep an open mind and allow herself to fall in love with all of them.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, there are going to be cheerleaders in all of them!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Oof, not the sororityparents thread again...sigh.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Oof, not the sororityparents thread again...sigh.
Oh sweet Jesus and all that's holy, I agree with IUHoosiergirl88! Why must people keep referencing that website?? When a new member comes here and mentions a campus at which a chapter has been recently shut down for risk management issues, we don't post a link to one of those threads?? Yes, we know IU's greek system seems to personify dysfunction, however, MANY young ladies have successful recruitments there every year. In the past 10 years I have coached, advised and calmed several young ladies through IU recruitment. Those young ladies who did not have a successful recruitment decided that they were not going to join certain chapters, went in with a closed mind and were left with no options prior to preference. In all of those years, only one young lady attended pref at three chapters and did not receive a bid. She ended up transferring due to a change in majors, not for any other reason.

So let me break it down.

1. There are 21 chapters at IU. Each provides a different, yet valuable, experience to its members.

2. Any adjective (positive or negative) you can use to describe a 18-22 year old woman, you can find it in ANY chapter at iU.

3. The variance in the size of the chapters in no way reflects the recruiting strength of the chapter. It more typically reflects that actual size of the chapter house itself, look up bed rush.

4. Most any young woman who wants to be Greek at IU, can be. It may just require her to realize that each chapter is fabulous in its own way.

end of rant//for now

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 02-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Ladies.
Yes I have seen that sight and it did freak me out a little. No one wants to see their child hurt. But, it is a parent site so I guess you have to temper it with all the young women going through recruitment are perfect and special to their parents and mine is no exception. That's not to say that the IU system isn't flawed, as clearly it is. All I can do is advise my daughter the best I can and ultimately her decisions are hers. I will continue to watch this site for information as we go on this journey. Please wish my perfect little snowflake (hee hee) and I luck!
Thanks again, Ladies!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Oops....I mean, my perfect little snowflake and me, not I.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiu View Post
Please wish my perfect little snowflake (hee hee) and I luck!
Thanks again, Ladies!
I like her!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes and good luck to oldiu and little oldiu