GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,246
1 members and 1,245 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Is 21 too old to pledge?

2 of my roommates and I are looking into joining a sorority next fall. i turn 21 in 2 days. they will be 19 and 20 by the time they pledge. i want to join because i want to be the first person in my family to join any time of greek life. i will be a junior and at my small school you arent allowed to pledge unless you are in your 2nd semester of your freshman year so i doubt many pledges will be 17 but am i too old though?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm 20 and I pledged. It really all depends on the school you go to. But I'd try it out anyway. It'll be a fun experience.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

It's honestly going to depend on the sorority and campus. My chapter had several older pledges during the course of my four years -- the oldest one I recall was 23. Women rushing at 19 and 20 was quite common, but that was my school back then. You won't know unless you try, so give it your best shot and best wishes to you!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are at an SEC school or other really traditional Greek system (Big 10), you're probably in for disappointment, but there's no loss in trying regardless.

If you have the opportunity to informal rush this spring, I would do that instead, even though you won't get to see every chapter.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I dont go to an sec school I go to a small college thats now adding another school too it and I also plan on transfering after next year. Would that be an issue.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Without knowing which college, it's hard to say. No one is going to stop you from participating in recruitment if you plan on transferring, but you may want to consider whether you want to participate now or at the school you transfer to.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecebug View Post
I dont go to an sec school I go to a small college thats now adding another school too it and I also plan on transfering after next year. Would that be an issue.
You plan on transferring after your senior year?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

re: transferring. Sometimes sorority members who are initiated and in good standing with their chapter can affiliate with the chapter of their sorority at their new school. There is usually some paperwork involved, but there is no guarantee that the transferee would be allowed to affiliate.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 02-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Thank you! I was wondering that too.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
No after my junior year. I will be a junior in the fall. I transfered schools before this school and a lot of my credits didn't transfer so I was a freshman twice.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

But won't you again lose a lot of credits, transferring after your junior year?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
But won't you again lose a lot of credits, transferring after your junior year?
Possibly but i transfered from a community college before and this time ill be transfering from a university so I hope more credits will transfer
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

You may not have as great of a chance if you are a junior and you tell people you'll only be at school for a year because you will be transferring. But give it a try.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I might wait until you've finished transferring (especially if you're not 100% sure yet where you are transferring). If you rush now you may end up pledging a house that doesn't have a chapter at your new school, and you'd be potentially shut out of rush at your new school (since I think you're bound to one sorority for a year after you pledge). A close friend of mine was in a similar situation--pledged one sorority at her old university, where she had enrolled after community college, but when she transferred out of that university and to another one without that chapter, she had to de-pledge and rush a different NPC house at her new school. It ultimately worked out great for her but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiAlpha05 View Post
I might wait until you've finished transferring (especially if you're not 100% sure yet where you are transferring). If you rush now you may end up pledging a house that doesn't have a chapter at your new school, and you'd be potentially shut out of rush at your new school (since I think you're bound to one sorority for a year after you pledge). A close friend of mine was in a similar situation--pledged one sorority at her old university, where she had enrolled after community college, but when she transferred out of that university and to another one without that chapter, she had to de-pledge and rush a different NPC house at her new school. It ultimately worked out great for her but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.
Sort of...

If you are initiated, you may not join another NPC sorority at all. Ever. If you are initiated, and you transfer to a school where there is no chapter of your sorority, you are granted alumna status. If you transfer to another school where there is a chapter and you do not affiliate, you are granted alumna status. (It is up to the member to petition to transfer to the new chapter, and it is up to that chapter to allow you to affiliate.) If you affiliate, you are then a member of the transfer chapter with all the rights and obligations of a collegiate member.

If you accept a bid from a sorority, but you drop out of the sorority for any reason before initiation (even transferring to a new school), you may not rush/accept a bid from another sorority until the next school year. In your friend's case, it appears she was not initiated so she was simply bound to her bid until the new school year. Even if her new school had a chapter of the sorority she pledged at the old, that chapter isn't bound to honor her bid; it's only valid for the university where she pledged. Otherwise, we'd have PNMs shopping for colleges to join sororities if they could simply transfer their bids.

Last edited by adpiucf; 02-25-2013 at 11:50 AM.