GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,305
0 members and 2,305 guests
No Members online

Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Recruitment at USC (California)

Hello GreekChat!

My question is what mix of spices should I use to season souvlaki?

Just kidding! I have decided to accept my offer to start at USC this year. So very excited! I ‘m an international student but I know a bunch of people who went to uni in America (including relatives) so not completely ignorant of life over there, including Greek Life. However hearing how things are from very excited friends and family may not be the most accurate of sources.
I am excited to experience Greek Life, (and yes I know its not like how it is in the movies!)

What I really want to know is if Recruitment really is as stressful as some of what I’ve read on GC. I won't be discouraged. I just want to be as mentally prepared for it as I can be. (Advanced preparation for recruitments seems to be a common piece of advice in this forum)

From what I’ve read on GC the recruitment process at USC ranges from almost as ‘Southern’ and ‘competitive’ as the SEC and Texas (whatever that means?); to, as long as you don’t insist on certain sororities the process will be easy, straightforward and even fun. So which is it????

I have seen pictures on Facebook and the sorority girls all look so choreographed and the decorations look so extravagant. But at the same time it doesn’t look as formal as the pictures I’ve seen on here of the SEC schools.
So yeah, I guess my question is asking about what the whole culture of recruitment is like at USC.

Thank you very much in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment can be extremely stressful but it doesn't have to be. You CAN go through with an idea of making friends and doing something that you will never do again in your life and all of your friends back home won't even be able to comprehend, and just have a good time with it. The girls who suffer the most are the ones who go in with preconceived notions about which houses are the best and worst and which ones are the only ones they'll accept. Rush really is this magical process of matching personalities. The problem is a LOT of girls don't know themselves and are disappointed when the group who they think is the best doesn't reciprocate.

Another thing to keep in mind is seriously few girls get literally cut all the way out of rush. In way more cases than the girls will admit, they say they got cut when really they were left with a few that they determined weren't good enough for them, so they dropped out.

And finally, while we all think Greek life is a great and fulfilling thing, it is NOT the end of the world if it doesn't work out for you. I know it's a surprise to you, but 18 year old girls can be a bit dramatic about the whole thing. Do a LOT of reading on this site. Ask questions carefully and no sassing! Then just move forward and have a great time.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

So what you're saying is it is going to be as stressful as I make it for my own self? Well hopefully I will be sensible about it all when I have to be.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

You got it. Here's some homework (beyond reading all about it here on GC). Check out each of the sorority's local and inter/national websites. They provide a wealth of information and will get you really excited about the process. But DO NOT go to any of the sorority comparison websites. They are used either to prop up status by the girls in the houses or to beat them down. I have yet to hear of one that is accurate but can scare the bejeezus out of you about what you're getting into. So just don't go there.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I recall an international student from the UK on GC a few years back going through recruitment at U of SoCal. She had a great rush and ended up joining a sorority. I forget which one, but she's surely graduated by now. It's been done. Just keep an open mind to the possibility of membership in any of them and have fun.

You can also read through the recruitment stories forum for past USC threads.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both DubaiSis and adpiucf.

DubaiSis: Guessing from your username, were you an International Student as well?

adpiucf: Oh, I'm not from the UK! I've found a few threads for USC on What to Wear/Clothes; is that really so important? As for recruitment stories, USC doesn't seem to have many with happy endings!

As for Letters of Recommendation there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Some threads say I will need them; and some say it isn't an issue as long as you can confidently speak about yourself. So are they essential, especially if I am an international student. I don't think that would be too much of a problem if I started asking around now. Should I?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a guide for USC recruitment attire. Yes, you want to adhere to their dress code and you should contact USC's Panhellenic Council with questions.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanPNM13 View Post
Hello GreekChat!

My question is what mix of spices should I use to season souvlaki?

The answer is oregano. It's always oregano in Greek cooking. LOL.

Paging ellebud. We need your excellent advice here!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the oregano tip. Clearly the best advice so far.

According their Greek Life website, the guide for 2012's recruitment wasn't published until July; so I suppose I actually have a lot of time to get any worrying out of the way - I hope!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

USC: Congratulations on your admission to USC!!! Totally awesome!!!

To address some of your concerns......Recs: Some people swear that you must have them. Others...not so much. (I am not revealing secrets here...when my daughter went through recruitment five years ago I wrote her story..) My daughter had three recs. She didn't have a rec from the house that she pledged. She did know a few people in a few houses. My daughter had a near perfect recruitment. Others pnms had two or three recs for every house and didn't have the best time. (Oh, and in her pledge class there was an international student as well).

Clothes: It will be HOT...so light weight clothes are important. I would look at USWeekly to find out what is "in" now. Please note: I do not mean that you should/must spend a lot of money on clothes. And do not wear the example clothes that USC's brochure. Clam diggers or whatever they call it now are terrible awful for many reasons.

There is a lot of general advice here (like having flipflops in your purse)....so I don't have to cover that.

Truth: Recruitment at SC is really challenging. But we are not the SEC. The "rules" are different....There are a number os recruitment stories here. Read them and compare.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend whose daughter came from OOS to USC and had a wonderful recruitment there last year. I do think she obtained recs to every chapter, though. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanPNM13 View Post
Thank you both DubaiSis and adpiucf.

DubaiSis: Guessing from your username, were you an International Student as well?
I am utterly NOT exotic, having grown up in Iowa. But I lived in Dubai and have a lot of friends from around the world.

Presumably you are not a 3rd culture kid, so you will be experiencing this huge change for the first time. I'm glad to give you some private input about how things are different in Southern California than in Europe or the Middle East.

I haven't been involved in rush at USC so I can't say for sure, but my instinct is that they will like your interesting and different background. If I were you I would expound on that as much as I could on your application. While your school, activities, etc., won't be exactly the same, after reading here on GC, maybe you can find a way to translate it so you can get correct "credit" for being an active involved teenager in another part of the world. I would also make as clear as possible on the application and in person that you intend to complete your education at USC and are not here for a year and then going home. Bids are precious and they don't want to waste one on a girl who can't give a full 4 years to the collegiate chapter.

And (contrary to my typical opinion about recommendations) I would TRY to get some recommendations if you can. Your lack of familiarity with the process could be a hindrance, just because you don't know what you don't know. If you live somewhere with an American Women's Association, I would contact them and see if they could give you some help in preparation with sorority rush. They should be able to find you some members who can help. I can help you connect with them as well, if you like. You can start by going to www.fawco.org, although not all Women's clubs are part of this federation.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
USC: Congratulations on your admission to USC!!! Totally awesome!!!

To address some of your concerns......
Thank you! And thank you so much for your advice, it is beneficial to say the least.

Quote:
Presumably you are not a 3rd culture kid, so you will be experiencing this huge change for the first time. I'm glad to give you some private input about how things are different in Southern California than in Europe or the Middle East.
Oh thank you for thinking about that DubaiSis, but I think I will be fine. I go to an international school and there are a fair amount of American expats that live here. In fact the US is probably the second most popular choice for uni applications. I know a couple of girls who joined sororities in uni in the US and some of them were even at USC.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, they can do recs for you for those groups and may know people in the others who can help. Network these folks!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Should I also try and find a rec for AGD? Do colonies use them?