GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,629
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaisaacjuioro19
» Online Users: 1,484
0 members and 1,484 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

You know your school doesn't get greeks...

When they schedule Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Epsilon Phi for a social and Alpha Delta Phi and Alpha Epsilon Pi for a social.

(Not that I'm sure how many schools have all four)
Old 12-26-2014, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Your school schedules socials? Interesting. All the ones I've worked with, the chapters schedule their own.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
When they schedule Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Epsilon Phi for a social and Alpha Delta Phi and Alpha Epsilon Pi for a social.

Illinois has all four, and I once heard that it was the reason ADPi was ADPi and not ADPhi, i.e. ADPi changed its name so they could colonize there. No idea if that's true or not.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Illinois has all four, and I once heard that it was the reason ADPi was ADPi and not ADPhi, i.e. ADPi changed its name so they could colonize there. No idea if that's true or not.
Not sure that it was specifically Illinois but. (From the Wikipedia page about ADPi)
n 1905 the Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi (ΑΔΦ), but was later changed because a men's fraternity by the same name was already well established at many universities where ADPi wanted to start chapters.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote a post about the switch from Alpha Delta Phi to Alpha Delta Pi. http://wp.me/p20I1i-OE
Old 12-26-2014, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
I wrote a post about the switch from Alpha Delta Phi to Alpha Delta Pi. http://wp.me/p20I1i-OE
So it was the extension to Illinois that was the key issue.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So it was the extension to Illinois that was the key issue.
Yes, it was the first encounter of the two groups on the same campus, as far as I can tell.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:

LMAO!

My school has Alpha Delta Phi, Alpha Epsilon Pi, and Alpha Epsilon Phi (chapter founder here ).

There are only 24 letters in the Greek alphabet, and most GLOs use two or three letters. Add to that the fact that the letters must stand for some secret motto - you can't exactly pick 2 or 3 letters out of a hat. As a result, there are a lot of GLOs that use similar letters. (Aside from the example I gave above, we also had Sigma Kappa, Kappa Sigma, Phi Sigma Kappa, Phi Kappa Sigma, and Phi Kappa Theta; Theta Chi and Theta Xi; Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Tau Omega, and Alpha Phi Omega ... ) There are, of course, plenty of groups that don't follow the "2 or 3 Greek letters" pattern - alpha Kappa Delta Phi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi, Triangle, Farmhouse, Ceres, to name a few.

But I do have to ask why the school is scheduling socials. Shouldn't that be left to the GLOs' social chairs?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Pitt has Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Epsilon Phi, and Alpha Epsilon Pi. At least, they did.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thread is already well off the rails!!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 PM

I've heard of socials being scheduled by IFC & Panhel when there are issues with snobbery, i.e. groups refusing to mix with other groups for no reason other than their "tier."

I'd hope those groups would know which are male and female though.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I'd hope those groups would know which are male and female though.
Why? I know many campuses where sororities have socials with other sororities, etc.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Why? I know many campuses where sororities have socials with other sororities, etc.
I think her point is that if Panhel and IFC are planning socials, they should definitely know which groups are male and which are female. If the governing bodies of these organizations (which are made up of people from said organizations) don't know the differences in gender, then that's kind of … weird? ... for lack of a better word.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 12-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

And my point is what difference does it make? A social is a social. If your social skills can't navigate both, you need some practice.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM

AST and I are assuming by socials he means mixers or swaps where a sorority and a fraternity are having a private event for just the two of them.

If naraht didn't mean that and there are also instances of say, ZTA & KKG being scheduled for whatever the school in question calls a social then the original post is pointless.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.