GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 03-20-2002, 07:48 PM
CSUMB Guy

Question At 22, should I??

Hi Guys,

I'm transfering to CSU, MB in the fall. If everything goes well with student body elections this spring, they'll approve Fraternities/Sororities to be on campus.

Question-Being 22, is it worth it to get involved in the process of starting a Fraternity? Being at a JC for the past 2 years, I wasn't able to rush. Now that I'm transfering, I hoped it would be possible, until I found out that there weren't any on campus yet.

Your views, thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2002, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a boy, but yes! They'll want a mix of ages, and presumably you would be a mature member, able to guide those 18-year-old young 'uns. Especially if you'll be around for a few years ... which it sounds like you will.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Absolutely

Many fraternities (especially colonies) are MORE than happy to accept you at 22 years of age. At larger schools they would question your compatability to your pledge class, your potential contribution, etc... For a greek system that's just starting up -- just as Fuzzie said, they'll need some 22 year old people to marshal those 18-year-olds around.

My feelings are that if it's something you want to do then don't let age stop you. Our national rules (and I'm pretty sure most fraternities) state that you can rush as long as you're under 25 (however, breaking that rule is fairly common).

LHT
Kevin
MT 5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2002, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I am 22 and rushing..
Old 03-21-2002, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I am 23. I am finding the age difference is no big deal! I say go for it!
Old 03-21-2002, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

Go for it!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

You can definately rush! I am 21 and my pledge semester was last fall. I was already 21 when I joined and had no problems with my age. Also, my boyfriend was actually 22 when he joined his fraternity. Believe me, he is very close to all of his pledge brothers and some of them were only 18. Go for it!
Old 03-21-2002, 03:25 PM
UMgirl

I pledged at 20 and I say go for it. There was a 24 year old transfer when I firsted rushed at 19. It seems that it is wayy easier for a guy to rush and get a bid into a fraternity at an older age or year in school than it is for a girl with a sorority. GO FOR IT!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
If you haven't received enough support yet, I'll add on as well. Do not let your age discourage you, with age comes experience and wisdom. If you choose to join, people will immediately look to you for help and advice, it's a natural phenomena. Our fraternity has pledged all ages including 22 and 23. If you think you'll have the time and energy to devote to the org., then by all means take the plunge. Goodluck!

RUgreek
Old 03-22-2002, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

hey i just turned 21 a month and a half before I rushed, and I loved it. Don't worry about the age, its only a few years. with guys, we can be buddy-buddy with huge age differences. If I could have the opportunity to help start a new fraternity I would jump at the chance. I think it would be so cool to be a founding father for my chapter. maybe they will start a Phi Kappa Psi!!
Old 03-22-2002, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Go for it! I'm going to be 22 when I reaffiliate, and when I thought there might be a problem with age difference, I was told how wrong I was right away! Those younger kids need the direction you can give, and you will probably be a little more responsibility oriented that most, which can be a huge asset! Play up what you have, not what you think you are missing, you will be the needed link to the right chapter, I'm sure of it!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LaurenRosen
Thumbs up

Go for it!