GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,220
1 members and 1,219 guests
No Members online

Old 06-09-2000, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile PnguinTrax, I have a question for you!

I've heard you are the unofficial expert here, so I thought I would ask you!

I'm interested in rushing a sorority this fall. We don't have actual houses at our campus (don't know if that makes a difference). However, I'm married, and I've heard that makes me ineligible. Can you please give me the rundown on who is eligible for rush, and why it would be different at different schools, if it is?
I'm a bit confused- I thought things were really regulated in the system, but I'm hearing it depends on the chapter.

Thank you for your help,
Makena

------------------
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2000, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Makena -

Some NPC groups only require that you be an fulltime undergrad student while others require that you be fulltime undergrad and unmarried. Having a house on campus really makes no difference.

I know that my group, ZTA, requires you to be an undergrad and single, but if you get married while you are still undergrad you can retain collegiate membership or transfer to the alumnae chapter.

If I were you, I would find out what chapters were on campus and contact their national offices to find out their individual regulations on this. If the majority of groups tell you that they have no problems with married women joining, I would go through recruitment and give it your all. Be prepared, however - even though a national org. says you could join, the individual chapter may not offer you a bid. A sorority is a big time commitment and if you are attending school full time, working and maintaining a marriage, you really need to prioritize and be willing to sacrifice. If the chapter does not feel that you could dedicate the time and effort to your new sorority, they may not offer you a bid.

Just something to consider...and I do wish you luck!

Barb

P.S. If you need links to the NPC member fraternity websites, go to the NPC national site at http://www.npcwomen.org or to my Recruitment FAQ page, http://panhellenic.tripod.com/FAQ.html

Old 06-12-2000, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Exclamation

I don't remember the marital status issue having been raised on this site before...FYI, Makena, my sorority (Alpha Sigma Kappa) is one that does not factor marital status into consideration. (In fact, 1 of our chapter founders was married at the time of our founding, and another got married within the year after).

Has anyone else had experience with this issue, I am curious....

Old 06-12-2000, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority requires you to be single also. We had a case where one of our sisters got married during the year and she automatically became an alum. She had no choice. I was put on the roster to participate in rush last year since I'm a grad student, but now that I'm married I cannot be put back on. I don't know why they have this rule? Maybe they think if you're married you won't have time to devote to the organization. I know I've been 100 times more active as a married grad student than I was as an undergrad.
Old 06-12-2000, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
My (blood) sister is getting married in less than 2 weeks (YIKES!), but will still be an undergrad.. so I wonder what will happen? An interesting thought.. her fiancee is in the military and won't even be in the same state. So, yes, she'll be committing time to that, but at the same time, not as much as if it were a more 'traditional' marriage. Hmmm. I will just have to ask her about that.
Old 06-13-2000, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm also a member of a professional sorority that does not factor marital status into the equation. This may be another option, Makena, depending on your field of study, if you're still interested in the Greek experience but things don't work with the NPC organizations at your school.

For us, it varies widely from chapter-to-chapter, with some having no married members and others having several (including chapter charter members). It really depends a great deal on the individual member.

[This message has been edited by BFulton (edited June 13, 2000).]