GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,227
1 members and 2,226 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-16-2000, 12:09 AM
Mom

Question rush

I am wondering about girls who go through as sophomores. Are their chances equal to the freshmen girls? I know that every school is different but what is your opinion. My daughter is very involved in campus activities, so surely that is a benefit to a sophomore girl.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2000, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I really don't think it will matter. A lot of the girls in my pledge class were sophomores when we went through. Although having been involved is a good asset, it will not guarantee her a spot. She needs to look for a house where she feels comfortable and where she feels like she'll fit in. Don't go for the house who is considered the 'most popular' or 'prettiest' if you can't stand the people there. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help!

P.S. Where does she go to school?
Old 07-17-2000, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

it is entirely possible for a sophomore to rush successfully, but there are a few things that will be different for her:

--sophs. have the best chance of getting in a particular house if they've made lots of friends who are actives in that house. if she has a group of 5 or 6 actives who will really push for her, she has a great chance. if her friends want to get her in, they'll introduce her around. if she's got a group of friends in one house, they may be able to get her a bid, depending on the voting proceedures (some houses require a majority of actives to vote a rushee in, while in others it depends how much those who you've met like you, meaning you can get in without knowing everybody). on the other hand, if she's rushing as a soph. and knows no one, that will look kind of bad, seeing as how she's had a year to socialize & make acquaintances (where the freshmen rushees haven't had that opportunity). at my school, nearly all rushees are freshmen. most sophs. who are successful get into the sorority that all their friends are already in. this will probably be a key factor for your daughter.

--her involvement on campus will look good but that is not nearly as important as how the actives feel she fits in with their house. her personality & friendliness come way before extracurriculars.

--if any family friends are alumnae of sororities which have chapters at her college, ask them to send in reccomendations and headshots of her. these don't guarantee that she'll be invited back during rush or that she'll get a bid, but they serve as an introduction and the girls will give her an extra look during rush.