GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,591
1 members and 1,590 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-03-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question DZ colony at UF

ok, so I went by the DZ table today and I met some really awesome girls. I'm definitely going to go to the DZ informational meeting, but I have a couple questions. What kind of things are they really going to look at? I mean do they have different needs because they are a new group, and not an established sorority? I know that this is a great opportuinity for older girls (aka ME!!!). I'd also like some input about specific issues that other girls have encountered who have been founding members of their chapter.
Feel free to PM me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad to hear of your interest in the DZ colony, Aiya! Like you mentioned, they will definitely be looking for both young and "old" college girls to help them get the new colony up and running smoothly. So this is a great opportunity for upper classmen to get involved.

Please let me know your progress with DZ! I've never assisted in forming a colony before, so this is very interesting to me!
Old 09-04-2002, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
The skys the limit with a colony. They are more open minded when selecting women usually due to the women rushing you being much older. However, do really relax either! Smile, be yourself, and show how truely interested you are!

I found this type of rush more relaxing than formal rush.

If you have specific questions please PM me! I loved being a charter member! Just remember it isnt a piece of cake, It will be hard work to make a presence on campus esp among the other greek groups, but well worth it!!
Old 09-04-2002, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I am kinda in the same boat...but with Delta Gamma. They are colonizing at NCSU this year and I can't wait to get involved. My mom was a DG and I plan on rushing...but I am a junior. I am very interested in going for a leadership position if I am offered a bid...I'd say go for it. Everyone that I've talked to has been so supportive...we are special for getting the opportunity to make a new chapter (well colony at first), what we want it to be. I can't wait until the whole process starts (which isn't until Sept. 24th).
Old 09-04-2002, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

how long does it take to go from being a colony to an actual chapter?
Old 09-04-2002, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Here is the DG schedule for NCSU's colony:
Sept 24th: Info Session
Sept 25th: Interviews
Sept 26th: Preference Party
Sept 27th: The first pledge class of DG at NCSU is announced with 120 girls.
Sept 28th: Installation of the colony and new members.
Around Nov. 20th or so the DG Colony at NCSU will recieve it's charter as the Eta Kappy Chapter of Delta Gamma!!!!!

They make it happen real fast.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Too excited?

Ok, so I'm super excited again about this colonization. Is it possible to be over excited? Like should I mention that I've talked to people on greek chat about colonization etc etc? I think that the DZ girls would like to see that I've gotten some background info on doing a colony, but I wouldn't want to seem over eager. Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2002, 04:38 PM

Aiya,
If you would like to visit the Delta Gamma forum, please feel free. There are a number of girls there who recently went through the colony process there and could probably help advise what it is was like.
I realize that Delta Gamma and Delta Zeta are totally different groups, but you may be able to glean some value about hearing about their colony experiences.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
I joined a DZ colony this year and the we get installed on Nov. 23rd 2002! I'm not really sure about how long you are a colony until you get installed because I am a new member, but our colony formed in 2000 I believe, and I in order to get a charter you have to meet a certain quota? Not sure, anyone feel free to correct me.

L.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think any woman who is interested in being greek on the UF campus should go to the DZ informational meetings. This is a big national group that is well thought of by other panhell nationals. Also, they are going to spend lots of effort and dollars to get this chapter going.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, they have to have a certain quota and I know they are definitely looking to take campus total. I still want to know if you can possibly look "too" interested? Should I get a rec as well?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you need to be yourself. If you are enthusiastic and you try not to be then you might be acting stilted. If you have to act like someone else to get in then it isn't worth it. Plus they need enthusiastic women b/c there will be a lot to do. JUST BE YOURSELF.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
My chapter was a colony when I joined. I was in the first pledge class coming from a formal recruitment, and we got our charter and were initiated that fall. The colony had been organized in the fall of 1999, I believe, and we were chartered in October of 2000. So it took about a year.

As for being overexcited, don't be afraid to show that you're really interested! Unless you're scary about it (i.e. raving about how you've already painted your entire house pink and green and have adopted a family of turtles), I think you should be fine. So don't worry!

I'm not sure about the recommendation, though, since this is a little different than formal recruitment...I'd say it couldn't hurt, but could anyone else help us out here?
Old 09-04-2002, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

When I spoke with the DZ ladies they said that a rec would be helpful. Now I am off trying to find some DZ alumnae.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
north carolina rules!

whitedaisy, i'm so glad to hear you go to NCSU! i am so happy that another chapter is opening in my home state! good luck!