GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,568
2 members and 1,566 guests
JayhawkAOII, naraht

Old 09-10-2002, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question HELP! Need ideas for successful sorority alumnae events??

I need some feedback from all you GC'ers out there. This past weekend I attended an alumni meeting for my school. A few of us got into a discussion about the difference between fraternity alumni relations and sorority alumni relations.

For fraternities, the best event to draw alumni back for is a golf tournament. That's a no-brainer. But for sororities, there isn't a similar "catch-all" attractor to entice alumnae to attend a specific event.

So my question is to all you sororoity alums out there...what alumni event(s) would cause you to attend or give you a GREAT excuse to participate? In other words, what kind of function could a sorority hold EVERY year that would automatically draw you, interest you and make you get on the phone and tell your former pledge sisters to get off their butts and come?

Please be specific and detailed with any answers, and what type of results or response you have experienced or seen with any of your suggestions if they have actually been held. And we're looking for something other than Homecoming or Initiations.

Last edited by Pike4Life; 09-16-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

My alma mater has an All-Greek Reunion every year during the spring, and it always brings a ton of my sisters back to reminisce about our college days.

The reunion consists of an All-Greek picnic with a band on Friday night, then Saturday is left up to the individual GLO's to do what they want. Usually, my chapter hosts an alumnae "tea" and we all go to the sorority house while our husbands/boyfriends go play golf for the afternoon. The collegiates tell us what they've been doing that year, and we have heavy appetizers and non-alcoholic drinks while we catch up with each other. Then, later that evening, we attend an Alumnae Formal for dinner and dancing.

Aside from the All-Greek Reunion, my DZ chapter also hosts a Rose Ball every other Spring. It's a formal sit-down dinner with an awards presentation (things like Most Active Alumna, Most Active Senior, etc.) and then there is a band for dancing. Usually the formal is a BYOB event or else a cash bar is set up with hired servers to check IDs for liability reasons.

Basically, if you give girls a chance to buy a new formal dress and get all done up for the night, we'll jump on it.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
i have to agree with dzrose93, i love getting all done up and going to a formal dance. what could be better?! the whole greek reunion thing you were talking about dzrose93, we do that during the summer sort of. we have alumni weekend and those who were greek go back to their chapter house or suite in the case of the sororities and talk to whatever actives were able to be there. it would be so much better during the academic year, but the school doesn't want to infringe on the student study time or something. but definately a formal dinner/dance is the way to go.

shelley j
sigkap
Old 09-11-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal dinners are so hard to plan and execute, especially if your chapter's alumni relations program has been somewhat weak over the past few years.

Are there any other less formal or casual-type events that would be likely to attract more women?

What about something like a tennis tournament, or wine tasting party, or something along those lines?
Old 09-11-2002, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Have an active/alumnae tea or brunch... those were always popular at my school.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me also say that I'm trying to work with a sorority here to improve their alumni relations programs because I have had such a high level of success with my own fraternity's alumni relations.

So I am a bit unsure of how similar men and women will respond to various events and tactics.

For example, do you think sorority alumnae will be more likely to attend an event ON CAMPUS or somewhere near them. For example, our campus is about 45 minutes from Atlanta, and most of the alumni live in the Atlanta area...so would it be better to schedule a brunch, tea or other event at our campus or somewhere in Atlanta?

But basically we just need creative ideas for events.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Here are some of the things that we do, that end up being very popular:

Kick off event at a REALLY nice location featuring desserts, finger foods, coffee and wine.

Pottery Painting Party

Lunch & Learn: mid-week speaker at a local restaurant, good for members that work outside the home and can't usually attend evening events

Brunch at a members home (the more prestigious the neighborhood, the better the turnout, LOL. Folks want to see how the other half lives, don't you know)

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Penguin!

If you can offer any elaboration on these ideas, I would appreciate it!

What other events, themes and parties do sorority alumnae enjoy?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that having the event in Atlanta would be best for turnout because you can require the chapter members to attend, but not the alums. So, you should make it most convenient for the alumnae... BUT, on a side note, if a good percentage of the area alums. hail from your school, then they might want to take a trip down memory lane and revisit the chapter house and campus.

As mentioned, teas and brunches go over very well when they are in a nice neighborhood. However, if you can't find someone to host it, having it at a country club is also nice.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Some ideas:

Founder's Day Luncheon - something where they would honor the sorority's founders and be able to see both the chapter members, the house and people that they were in chapter with.

Philanthropy Day - I don't know - perhaps "rent" a putt putt golfing place and donate money to the sorority's national philanthropy for their scores?

A tea - same idea as above.

One thing I CAN tell you is that you HAVE to give women notice so that they can plan on attending. Don't just send an annoucement two weeks prior and expect them to show.

Other ideas - a Newsletter to the alums - put chapter updates and recent alum "promotions / accomplishments / weddings / babies"

Email Listserv

Alum updates on the chapter website.

I've always seen alums in three different groups (although some can be in all three or two) Those that 1) Volunteer their Time, 2) Donate Money and 3) those that donate "stuff". Depending on the chapter's needs - they can appeal to those different groups with different events...