GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,133
1 members and 1,132 guests
TLLK

Old 10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Georgia State University?

I heard that Phi Mu did not do very well. Odd, they used to be the freshman favorite. I heard Alpha Xi Delta did very well-they used to be the worst. Anyone go there, rush there? Please confirm or correct what I have heard.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-21-2002, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

DZ made quota this year. I visited the girls just before one of their rush parties and watched them practice. They were doing a fabulous job!

I don't know about the other sororities on campus. Sorry!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the Phi Mu website, Georgia State University made quota.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I think that every sorority there made quota. Usually that's not a problem.

FYI, the PHC sororities at GSU are:
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Zeta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Phi Mu
Zeta Tau Alpha

Also, we are without a Greek Advisor right now, she resigned about two weeks ago. So I wasn't able to get any official numbers.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 10-25-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies,

As GSU Greek Council Pres, I am happy with the turnout for both IFC and Panhellenic Recruitments.

According to the registrar, this year was the largest freshman class to enter GSU.

Since some of the major buildings on our campus is undergoing renovations, recruitment took place at the Sheraton Colony Square in downtown Atlanta.

For Panhellenic:
Around 160 women signed up for rush (a new GSU record)
Quota was 26

4 out of 5 sororities made quota
Phi Mu
Alpha Omicron Pi
Zeta Tau Alpha
Delta Zeta

Alpha Xi Delta didn't make quota, and is COBing.
I think They were near total anyway.

I know Delta Zeta, Alpha Omicron Pi, and Zeta Tau Alpha were at chapter total (which is around 70-80) going into recruitment

I think at last count Zeta was the largest

dzrose93-I may have met you during your visit...Did you take a tour of the Kappa Sig House?
Old 10-25-2002, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad that Recruitment went over so well this year. Thanks for correcting me on the totals, I didn't know.

How did the fraternities do? If you can't tell by now, I go to GSU too. Maybe we've met before!

Old 10-25-2002, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure we have run into each other at some point gamma_girl52

to answer your question:

IFC did very well

There are 5 IFC chapters at State, and we just added Alpha Epsilon Pi to IFC bringing us to 6

Pi Kappa Alpha got 26
Kappa Sigma got 24
Sigma Nu got 20-25 (unsure about final number)
Theta Chi got 14
Pi Kappa Phi got 12

This year my chapter got a really great pledge class on Bid Day. We got some of the most highly contested guys to rush this year, and I was relieved that our 4 week rush without summer silence went off without a hitch. Especially since I was rush chair for my chapter.

Not to toot my chapter's horn even more, but we got the highest final rush numbers in our district.

*On an unrelated note- 4 sororities have initiation this weekend, so Phi Mu, AOTT, DZ, and AZD will have new sisters this weekend
Old 10-27-2002, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Any possiblity of expansion?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theta sig agd
Any possiblity of expansion?
Expansion in IFC or Panhellenic?

There are currently 21 GLO's at GSU (IFC, PHC, NPHC, and Multicultural)
There has been talk of expansion for years in Panhellenic, but its been shot down everytime it comes to a vote. There was too much red tape involved with the nationals of those sororities. There is some checklist that ive been told they must go through before adding a new NPC org. One of the criteria is that ALL NPC orgs on that campus must be making quota before adding a new sorority.

Expansion in IFC is easy. Its one vote and no red tape, but we tend to be more competitive than girls.

I am sure the first sorority to break the red tape and be added will be a traditionally southern sorority like Chi Omega (strong Atlanta alumni base), Alpha Delta Pi (whose headquarters are 15 minutes from our campus), or Pi Beta Phi

As for IFC, there has been constant talk about TKE or SAE returning to our campus after those chapters closed in the early 90's.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to piggyback on ksig600-

A lot of the expansion in Greek Life are from the "newer" greeks, although my chapter kinda doesn't count but it's all good, we've been welcomed at GSU even though we're a service sorority and we've been here only two years.

The MG Greek scene is really blowing up with Sigma Lambda Gamma and Theta Nu Xi being added just last year. Wonderful group of ladies. Also, NPHC at GSU has done a tremendous turnaround-when I first started attending State (when dinosaurs roamed the earth, lol) they weren't really out there. That's changed a lot within the past four years and Iota Phi Theta was just added about a year ago. I'm really pleased with the greeks here. And there's something for anybody who wants to be greek.

ksig600, this is off topic, but do you have any info on Dance Marathon, I haven't heard much. My chapter would really like to do it again this year.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to KSig and all others who got the people they wanted. I'm really glad Theta Chi got 14. That chapter (Iota Epsilon) was installed and recieved their charter the same day as mine (Iota Zeta). I'm really proud of my brothers. The fact that a fraternity can get 27 or so guys is really amazing to me. Go Greek!
Old 10-28-2002, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ksig600
dzrose93-I may have met you during your visit...Did you take a tour of the Kappa Sig House?
Hi ksig600,

I was only able to stop in to see the DZ girls briefly during Rush this year, and I didn't stop by any fraternity houses during my visit. But if the door is open, I may try for a tour next year!

Where is y'all's house at GSU? I'm not really familiar with the campus, although I've been by a few times in the past couple of months because I'm thinking of going back to school part-time.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ksig600

to answer your question:

IFC did very well

There are 5 IFC chapters at State, and we just added Alpha Epsilon Pi to IFC bringing us to 6

Pi Kappa Alpha got 26
Kappa Sigma got 24
Sigma Nu got 20-25 (unsure about final number)
Theta Chi got 14
Pi Kappa Phi got 12

This year my chapter got a really great pledge class on Bid Day. We got some of the most highly contested guys to rush this year, and I was relieved that our 4 week rush without summer silence went off without a hitch. Especially since I was rush chair for my chapter.

Mad Props to the Pikes at Georgia State and to the Kappa Sigs for outstanding classes. Not to mention all of the other fraternities as well!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

ADPi will never be on the GSU campus

I am sure the first sorority to break the red tape and be added will be a traditionally southern sorority like Chi Omega (strong Atlanta alumni base), Alpha Delta Pi (whose headquarters are 15 minutes from our campus), or Pi Beta Phi

**ADPi national won't put a chapter at a traditionally commuter school.They like to have nice large, well established chapters. AXD at GSU has been struggling for years and the other chapters are still pretty small compared to most schools. GSU just got dorms like three years ago and that is onlt because the Olympics were here and they had to do something with the new buildings they built for the athletes. None of the sororities and most of the fraternities do not have houses. IF a frat does have a house, it's not on campus and is not regulated at all by the University. They all do have suites in the student center though and they are decorated really pretty(the sorority ones are anyway).
I could see Chi-O or AGD putting a chapter there though. Aggressive expansion seems to be one of there goals. I read some where that AGD was created for the purpose of expansion and was never meant to be a local.So I could see that. I have many friends that go to GSU, great girls!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: ADPi will never be on the GSU campus

Quote:
Originally posted by DGWannabe
I could see Chi-O or AGD putting a chapter there though. Aggressive expansion seems to be one of there goals. I read some where that AGD was created for the purpose of expansion and was never meant to be a local.
I wouldn't exactly say that Alpha Gamma Delta was created for the purpose of expansion. Our Founders started us with the intention of becoming a *new international women's fraternity*--we installed our Beta chapter 1 day after celebrating our first birthday.

I also wouldn't say that aggressive expansion is our goal--on the contrary, I think Alpha Gam is rather cautious. The colony that we are installing at Chapman University is our first in 2 years. Our International Council looks at a boatload of different criteria to judge whether a colonization is in our best interest.

FWIW, I'm glad we seem to be cautious...I would rather expand slowly and make sure that we can support 1 really strong new chapter than colonize a whole bunch and spread our resources too thinly. Slow and steady wins the race.

So....getting back on topic, congratulations to the women of GSU on a successful rush! I wish them the best of luck in the future!

Last edited by greeklawgirl; 10-28-2002 at 07:32 PM.