GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 972
2 members and 970 guests
BillyBobThorton, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-25-2002, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
22 Purdue Students Arrested In Fraternity Investigation

Remember that thing called the law?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...o_wrtv/1381561
Old 11-25-2002, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

As usual, I am sure that since they were Greeks, they were put to the wall!

If it had been just a bunch of kids, they would have a slap on the wrist!

Once again, we take the heat for pranks!

Well when we as Greeks do it, it is hazing at its very worst!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-25-2002, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question......

The news article refers to a "pledging ritual". How do they know this?

I'm thinking of the possibility that the kids involved were just bored and looking for some excitement. (Who was it that posted the story about the fraternity impersonating the football team?)

Sometimes a prank is just a prank. It deserves to be punished, no doubt, but a prank is no reason to call into question the private fraternity rituals. I know that Purdue is a great school. I also know it is in the middle of BFE. Not much to do up there.

I'm just wondering why what used to be called a "fraternity prank" is now directly associated with their rituals.

Adrienne
Old 11-25-2002, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, yea, this was a bad thing... no it had nothing to do with a ritual, as was written in by a Sigma Nu to the opinions page in the paper. When the paper wrote the story however they listed the names, ages, and charges for all the guys who got arrested. that's not really right, is it? It seems like it must have had to do with the fact that it was a fraternity.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

herePurdue Newspaper Article
Old 11-26-2002, 12:45 AM
hendrixski

"hazing is kid stuff"
Old 11-26-2002, 12:59 AM

OK, let's see if I've got this right.

Twenty some undergraduates just happen to be pledges of the same fraternity, and just happen to begin the evening at the fraternity house, and just happen to get into trouble on that same night -- and we wonder why the possibility that it was a fraternity event and the name of the fraternity is mentioned in a newspaper story?

Of course it would! How big of a coincidence would that be? If you were a cop or a reporter or a dean, what conclusion would you draw?

By the way, as I recall the article, the fraternity hasn't been charged with anything -- it's being investigated. At least so far. To quote, "He said the office will conduct its own investigations — one for each individual student and one to see to what extent, IF ANY (my caps), the Sigma Nu fraternity played a role."

The use of the word "ritual" may be an unfortunate choice of words, but let's remember that the word can be used for occurrances other than initiation(s).

As for using the names of those involved -- of course they would be used. It's part of the story. It's journalism. They're being investigated! Right? You've heard of "Who, what, when, why, etc.?

Come on, folks. At least part of this is Grand Theft. Part of it, allegedly, is resisting arrest. At least one of those has to be a felony. Felony. Not prank. Not game. Felony. Stealing (or attemping to steal) stuff that costs a lot of money.

That's not allowed, whether you're in a fraternity or not.

The media isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but every time a fraternity or sorority is mentioned, we start pointing fingers at the nasty old reporters, editors, etc.

If we don't want our letters in the paper -- STOP BREAKING THE LAW!

Or do you really, honestly believe that a couple of people broke some laws, and the members of their pledge class just accidentally happened to be along?

Give me a break!

These guys screwed up! Even if it began as a prank, it turned into some serious lawbreaking.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 11-26-2002 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Eupolis
Sigh.

DeltAlum has, as usual, hit it right on.

While some officials will in some circumstances use their discretion and choose not to prosecute for harmless pranks, please remember this general rule:

There is no "just a prank" defense. If you break the law, get caught, and try to plead "just a prank" in court, you will be found guilty.

I know a few people who found this out the hard way. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the DA and school in some cases should have realized the harmless nature of the prank and left things alone, but they didn't.

(That is, of course, unless there's a 'prank' exception in the law or the 'prank' nature of the act negates the intent element of the crime, but I can't imagine any scenarios right now where that would be the case.)