GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,669
0 members and 1,669 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Ginger

Getting the word out

I am going to be starting a chapter of a national (though not NPC) social sorority on my campus this semester, and I could really use some advice on how to get the word out that this organization is colonizing.

One important thing to know, is my campus is VERY anti-greek. There are a few (4?) fraternities, 1 NPC sorority, and 2 very small local sororities (less than 30 girls between the 2). When I attended the rush parties of the local sororities there were only maybe 4 or 5 prospectives at each party.

The thing is, I have a feeling there are many more girls who would LIKE to go greek, but the greek system (sororities mainly, I don't know much about the fraternities) are so weak and in such bad repute that I think they've turned most of the girls off.

So, how do I, all by myself, get girls to come to interest group meetings? I plan on postering like mad, and I've talked to a member of one of the fraternities who I hope will spread the word that we are going to be bringing something new and different and GOOD to the campus, but I'm worried. Nationals has been as helpful as they can be, but that's not saying a whole lot...they are trying to rebuild as well, so it's been falling on the shoulders of each chapter to strengthen the national, rather than the other way around.

Any suggestions? Mainly on how I'm going to do this by myself? I don't know a whole lot of people on the campus (long story involving transferring and part-time status) so I don't have any PNMs at hand to help me out.

HELP!

Edit: I thought I should add that there is no greek life structure on campus... no Greek Life advisor or any type of umbrella council for the different fraternities or sororities...everyone is on their own.

Last edited by Ginger; 01-23-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You need a base to start with. A group of solid women who are committed to the same philosophy that you are. Without that, this will flop. Once you have a group that is willing to do the long and hard work to become actives then you can continue.

I do caution you to make sure you understand exactly what is going on on your campus. Find out why the others are weak. (ie lack of administrative support) and see what is really going on, there is probably more to it than you know. If you go to an anti-greek school, that is going to be a factor.

One option may possibly lie in changing an existing org from the inside. 4-5 prospectives per even isn't uncommon at anti-greek schools. We work our rears off for numbers and often times we get women who are too busy at the time rush is held. I really encourage you to look past the surface. Find out the real reason your Greek system is weak.

There are threads on this already, doing a search might give you some good advice and people to talk to who have gone through this.

Good Luck
Tau Love
Lil E
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Ginger

thanks!

I think the reason that these orgs are in such a sad state is that they haze pretty badly... I actually was a pledge of one of the locals for a while, but I de-pledged after I was hazed.

I've been on GreekChat for a few years now, and I've seen a lot of orgs get past these barriers...that's why I'm convinced that I can too

You did cover part of my question though... how do I find that core group of girls? Like I said I don't really know anyone on campus due to having been a transfer and a part-time student... how do I search out these girls that are going to be as devoted to building the sorority as I am?

Last edited by Ginger; 01-23-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

You aren't too far away from Beloit, I don't know if you've ever heard of it.
We have a *new* group forming here right now. They are mostly the girlfriends of some of the fraternity guys. They didn't find their home at the NPC, or the local. I would talk to your friends. Girls who hang out in fraternity houses. etc. Your school sounds like mine and when you target those women you get people who already accept (in most cases) Greek life, simply because they see what others get out of it. Does that make sense? Also, if you know any women who depledged from the locals or even the NPC i guess because of the hazing, they might be willing to fight for a new group. Ask around, find out who left for the same reasons you did, there are probably more than just you. Talk to them. Once you get a couple, hold some open campus info meetings. Does this help?

Good Luck!
Lil E
Old 01-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Ginger

Hey, I didn't even notice you were from Beloit! I originally went to school at UW-Whitewater, and now I've transferred to UW-Milwaukee. Small world!

Yup, I'm doing some investigating right now to see if any of my short-lived pledge sisters depledged the local....I figure that's my best place to start...
Old 01-23-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Really? UW-Milwaukee is that weak in its Greek life? wow! I thought you went to carroll.

One option might be to go look at Archives and if the national you are thinking of isn't helping look into reactivating an old chapter of a sorority. (Unless you have your heart set on something) If you reactivate you might get help from local alumnae associations.

Milwaukee used to have more nat'l sororities than one (ie. AST) . They might be a source. And you'd have alumnae with a vested interest and your support network will be much more imeadiate. (Only if you don't have your heart set on one though!) Also a national org with a stronger base might be better able to help you accomplish your dream. Does this help w/out sounding too biased? ok Good Luck!
Lil E
Old 01-23-2003, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Just an FYI, we had a chapter there according to the list I'm looking at from our most recent Membership Manual. From the date of the manual, we closed our chapter sometime after 1999 (the list still shows it as active). This might not mean much, but our web site even shows it as an active chapter. Univ of WI - Milwaukee, Gamma Gamma.

But, my involvement is on the alumnae side of the org so I'm not real familiar with the chapter closings.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Ginger

SmartBlondeGPhiB is right... Gamma Phi Beta is the only NPC on campus... from what I hear AST and AXO used to be there too, I'm not sure about any others...

Nope, I have my heart set on one particular sorority... Beta Sigma Phi... unfortunately I am not eligible to be a member of an NPC sorority, otherwise that totally would have been the way I went!!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Ginger
SmartBlondeGPhiB is right... Gamma Phi Beta is the only NPC on campus... from what I hear AST and AXO used to be there too, I'm not sure about any others...

Nope, I have my heart set on one particular sorority... Beta Sigma Phi... unfortunately I am not eligible to be a member of an NPC sorority, otherwise that totally would have been the way I went!!
Why aren't you eligible to join an NPC group? Were you initiated into an NPC group previously?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Ginger

no... when I am in school (I'm not right now) I'm a part time student, and won't ever be full time (I only have 3 more classes to take, and I'm taking one per semester)
Old 01-24-2003, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginger
no... when I am in school (I'm not right now) I'm a part time student, and won't ever be full time (I only have 3 more classes to take, and I'm taking one per semester)
Ginger, you could always AI with an alumnae group! Gamma Phi has a huge alum chapter in Milwaukee, which I will be a part of next year, since our chapter at Marquette is gone! My mom is actually looking at doing AI with them...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
There is a lot of info in here, Ginger has been doing her research.

Yes, the once pretty strong greek system that did exist here has been very weak for sometime now, and it just seems to be getting weaker and weaker.

The biggest problem that I see is among the sororities. They are suffering pretty bad (numbers wise). There are a lot of hazing issues and such that have yet to be addressed and one of the ors in particular is OUTTA control with it. For the most part though, the fraternities (what are left of them) have been doing pretty well. Ours is hurting in numbers but we've gone through a lot of re-structuring and such.

I guess AST had a chapter here, as well as AXO and AOPi was just closing not long before I came here.

There was also a chapter of Delta Tau Delta that closed many years ago. There were other nationals that had chapters here but it's hard to find out which. Our school doesn't keep those kinds of records (very very anti-greek admin) i.e. Nancy Zimpher can suck a phat one. (hi Nancy)

The Gamma Phi chapter here is still active.

As for the new sorority on campus, I've told the other members in my house to hype it up, get some girls interested in it (why not right, there always around the house, maybe have them pledge a sorority that will become a great experience and not a horrible one).

Ginger- i think 4 girls depledged last semester but you may want to recheck that. I'm pretty sure about that though. I'll find out more because I'm back in the full swing of things.

But to be honest the admin for the school has been trying to rid the campus of all greek orgs for sometime. (that I know of anyway.) Hell, the campus police chief has openly spoken out about the greek orgs on campus. Though I think a big part of that may have come after our last party was busted this last semester. What a crazy situation.

Beloit college? That's crazy, I've never even heard of it...lol, big greek system there?

Blaine
Old 01-24-2003, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

Ginger, you could always AI with an alumnae group! Gamma Phi has a huge alum chapter in Milwaukee, which I will be a part of next year, since our chapter at Marquette is gone! My mom is actually looking at doing AI with them...
They had a chapter at marquette??!?!?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa

They had a chapter at marquette??!?!?
Yep, the Epsilon Chi chapter - chartered in 1992. I have no clue what happened to them, but I would be so thrilled to help recolonize if that was a possibility - I'm too young to go alum!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Ginger

You know, when I go home over the weekends, I get discouraged, it all seems so overwhelming, but then I log back on to Greek Chat and yall lift my spirits again!

Quote:
Ginger, you could always AI with an alumnae group!
This is something I have been considering as well. My fear with that is, I'm not entirely sure right now if I'm going to finish school, and what I've heard through the grapevine is that that's frowned upon in AI candidates. Then again, like I said, that's pure rumour.

Quote:
Our school doesn't keep those kinds of records (very very anti-greek admin) i.e. Nancy Zimpher can suck a phat one. (hi Nancy)
So I noticed when I was up there last semester. I met her at the little transfer-student-welcome thing, and she immediately grated on me. I'm glad to know my evil-admin radar was working, LOL.

Quote:
maybe have them pledge a sorority that will become a great experience and not a horrible one
Exactly! I think if Beta can get an initial pledge class to stick it out, word will spread quickly that we don't haze and that we're what a sorority is supposed to be like!!

Quote:
Hell, the campus police chief has openly spoken out about the greek orgs on campus
Yeah, I saw that article in the Shepherd....grr!!!!!!!!!!!