GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 810
0 members and 810 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2003, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Overwriting Quota

I'm a little confused on something here. We had our bid day today, there are three sororities and quota was set at 19. The totals for today were 2, 20, and 21....quota was overwritten for two organizations. Up until last night, I had never even known that quota could be overwritten. Does anyone understand why this happens or what the circumstances surrounding overwriting quota are?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Search... there is something somewhere in the rush forum... Probably called QUOTA ADDITIONS or something.

Anyway, it is allowed...
Old 01-27-2003, 10:03 AM

Is that a typo or are you saying one group got only 2 and the others were allowed to take over quota? If so, that's wrong...

"Quota additions" are usually used so all women can be placed when all the sororities have made quota or are over total. If there's one group that got 2, quota additions shouldn't be used.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that this thread's probably somewhere else, but I'm going to respond on this one, anyway...

First of all, if the number's are 2, 19, and 20 then something's wrong. Quota should be 41 divided by 3, which is just a little over 10 (sorry, I don't feel like doing the math).

There are NPC regulations concerning quota plus. These regulations say that you are allowed to take 5% over quota when quota plus is allowed. There are some schools (such as mine) that do not follow this regulation. So that where quota is 60, the max number of girls that should be alloweed is 63, but one chapter took 69. The year I went through, quota was 50, so that the max number of girls is 53, but one sorority took 65. This is so that all of the girls are placed into sororities and "guaranteed a bid" as long as they get invited back to pref night. They are also guaranteed a bid from one of the two sororities that they preffed, which is how that one sorority could take 65.

At your school, assuming that they're doing things "by the book" you should be allowed to take one or two over quota. This is perfectly fine, because that's only taking one or two from another sorority. But you should NEVER get the numbers 2, 19, and 20 if quota was 18. That confuses me a bit. Maybe you can clarify?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, those numbers are entirely possible. Quota is set before preference usually ... which means that going into preference 57 girls were still in rush. And only two of those girls put that one particular chapter on their bid cards (or maybe a few other girls put them lower down and got their first choices elsewhere). You can get far less than quota if girls choose not to put you on their card, to take the choice of no bid over a bid from you.

You can get "quota plus" for different reasons depending on the school - sometimes chapters get a "free junior" or two on top of quota, so that upperclasswomen have a chance at rush.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I did a little research after sororitygirl2's reply, and I now understand a little more about quota additions, but still am slightly confused. Here's the thing...

Quota was set at 19, which means that 57 girls went through preference (quota is set after the third round, right before preference here). So 57 divided by 3 is 19...those numbers work. The sorority that ended up with 2 new members (and no, that's not a typo) released a lot of girls apparently and only had 11 or 12 attend their preference...the other two had about 40 at their preferences.

After reseaching quota additions, 5% of 19 is .95 which is rounded up to 1...so then the sororities with additions should only have been able to add 1 girl to the 19 for a total of 20...but one ended up with 21 somehow.

Personally, I don't agree with what happened. I understand that Panhellenic was trying to place the potentials into organizations and be fair to the potentials, but in the process, they weren't being fair to the organizations themselves. 14 girls ended up without bids for whatever reason (5 of those 14 didn't sign preference cards at all), and had the 3 additions not been allowed that number would have been 17. I just hate to see the numbers that different, it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
Just curious...how did all the chapters CNU do?

Green, green the ivy twines...
Old 01-27-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
our sorority system is all messed up.

if you have girls that suicide bid, those girls are given their first choice regardless of if they are on the list or not.
then, after the suicide bid girls, they do the list. . .
and then, we have some dirty rushers at our school who tell girls not to go back to certain parties or they won't get a bid
or the girls are told that they can not sign the bid card. . .and get snap bid into the sorority about 20 seconds after the rush period is over
we had a big deal with that this year. the sorority that 'dirty rushes' got caught doing that. as usual they denied it, they still got to keep all of the girls.
it's gotten to the point that we dont care anymore. no one will ever come to our school and do anything to the sorority.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

That makes a whole lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying. And yes, quota doesn't include juniors and seniors at most schools, so that may be how they took over one over total.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The other thing that is important to know about CNU when reading this thread is that Panhellenic does not use release figures.

This means that regardless of rushing strength all chapters can invite back every PNM going through recruitment. It is a very unpanhellenic approach to recruitment.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's crazy!!! If that's the case, why bother even having the chapter vote on the girls after pref? And, for that matter, why wouldn't all PNM's only put down their first choice if they knew they'd get into that sorority regardless?? How can they have that rule?

BrownEyedGirl, you make some excellent points. The way recruitment is set up at USC, it does not help the groups that need to COB or snap bid. I actually think that this 'guaranteed bid' business does not foster Panhellinic development as a whole and contributed to Kappa Alpha Theta closing in the fall 2001. Why another NPC group would want to come to this campus in light of this, and the fact that we're each building $1 million houses, is beyond me.

Also, my experience has been that a colonizing group needs mismatched women to assist them with recruitment. Where is a new group at USC going to find the women when they don't have a good base to start with? Although I don't like mismatches, it prevents the system from getting out of whack like ours is here.

Just my two cents!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lauradav
The other thing that is important to know about CNU when reading this thread is that Panhellenic does not use release figures.

This means that regardless of rushing strength all chapters can invite back every PNM going through recruitment. It is a very unpanhellenic approach to recruitment.
If they do not use release figures....then I don't believe that they can technically use quota additions. (check the green book). You may want to contact your area NPC advisor about this.

-o.p.i.e.

PS- if a girl single intenitional preferences (suicide) she should NOT automatically go to that organization...she would have to be on that chapters list to be matched...that is wrong and should be fixed...bring it up to your advisors and talk about it at panhellenic!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

REMINDER: Some schools override NPC regulations, no matter how hard you push.

And to the KKG... I'm gonna say a big "no comment" to parts of that one... but in the end I do feel like bringing a tenth chapter onto this campus will help everyone as a whole.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to disagree with you, CarolinaDG. The system at USC needs to be straightened out first. If it can be determined after that that another group is needed, then I'm all for inviting one to come.

At least 4 GLOs have come and gone that I know about. Of those, I think Pi Phi was the only long-standing one. Keep in mind Pi Phi was on the USC campus for about 30 years (late 1940s, early 1950s until early 1980s, I think). The atmosphere that I've seen since moving to South Carolina in 1984 is not conducive to new groups. Recuitment is hard enough without Greek Life throwing a monkey wrench into the mix.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

?

>>>if you have girls that suicide bid, those girls are given their first choice regardless of if they are on the list or not.<<<

Is this really true? Don't the sororities get some girls they don't want with this rule? If this is the way things are run, why have recruitment at all, why not just have everyone interested in joining a sorority write down their first choice and give it to them. Sounds like that is what happens anyway.