GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,685
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zaluscahvso8407
» Online Users: 1,141
0 members and 1,141 guests
No Members online

Old 02-09-2003, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaZetaWSU
RHO CHI's

How does each university go about choosing Rho Chi's? (Or Recruitment Counselors, as we're now forced to call them.)

In years past, it was always NPC E-Board as AUTOMATIC rho chi's, and then the delegates from each sorority had the decision to be one or not. Then we accepted applications from the rest of the sororities. Needless to say we didn't get many. It's like pulling teeth!

What is the process at your university? How should I motivate people to de-activate from their sorority for a whole summer?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2003, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Re: RHO CHI's

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaZetaWSU
How does each university go about choosing Rho Chi's? (Or Recruitment Counselors, as we're now forced to call them.)
At Valpo this year, since recruitment was so tiny (under a hundred), the E-board disaffiliated and the Panhel delegates disaffiliated and were Rho Gammas. This is for Spring recruitment, though, so they just disaffiliate from November 1st until January 10th or so.

I figure every sorority should have at least one rep, maybe two, depending on how many women are going through recruitment, and then the others could be via voluntary applications?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, which has a fairly small rush.. we use alumni as Rho Chis.. or whatever you want to call them... so each sorority is in charge of getting their own... (we use to per sorority) but of course the whole disaffiliation thing is rather moot at my school since Panhel (minus my chapter) voted to GET RID of the covering pictures rule.. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE .. ne way... so yeah.. not bitter or anything...
Old 02-09-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
We have each sorority have at least 5 girls fill out applications (usually more do though) then they are selected based on year in school, grades, personality, etc according to the application and an interview. Usually there are just about 30 girls needed as Rho Chi's (err...we are going to call them Rho Gamma's now)...
Old 02-09-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Why are they switching from Rho Chi to Rho Gamma?

whats the point?
Old 02-09-2003, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I **think** there is some GLO now that is Rho Chi so they are trying to switch to Rho Gam.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:47 PM

It was considered an honor at my school to be selected as a rho chi. Each sorority was required to provide a certain number of applicants, and could provide more. All applicants had to have participated in formal rush from the sisters' side at least once, which meant they had to be juniors or seniors. The Panhel officers in charge of rush interviewed everyone and usually chose 3-4 from each sorority except AEPhi, 1 from AEPhi. (AEPhi was much smaller than the other chapters.) Each PX was responsible for about 15 PNMs. Certain Panhel officers also deaffiliated, but didn't counsel PNMs or give out invites/bids.

We had fall formal rush, so you deaffiliated for the summer, but people often went home or traveled over the summer anyway, so it wasn't like you could hang out with your sisters even if you were allowed to. I can't imagine what it must be like to be deaffiliated for a whole semester at a school with deferred rush...
Old 02-09-2003, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

We choose our Panhel prez and VP, since we only have 2 sororities.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a thread on the name change from Rho Chi to ________ whatever it is your school is calling them now. We still have Rho Chi's, but who knows how long that will last?

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=24504

Here, girls apply to become Rho Chi's; I don't think they have a problem finding girls who want to do it. I think each sorority sends 2-3 girls. Panhellenic reps are also disaffiliated.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
At my school, each chapter had two sisters who disaffiliated. Then certain Panhellenic officers disaffiliated. (But the officers did the "behind the scenes" work.) Recruitment at ODU is pretty small compared to other schools, under 150. We only disaffiliate for three weeks. Sometimes it is hard to find Rho Chis. I enjoyed it though!!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 02-09-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Our school is similar to the others. We have our 6 Panhellenic Officers (one from each chapter) as Recruitment Counselors, but they don't work directly with the PNMs- they're more in charge of the logistics and behind the scenes work of Recruitment.

Each chapter usually has 2 or 3 Recruitment Counselors, so there's about a total of 12, sometimes more. They apply to the Panhellenic VP and she does interviews and bases her decisions on grades, activities inside and outside the sorority, and whether or not the potential Recruitment Counselor is able to open-mindedly work with other disaffiliated Recruitment Counselors.

I was a Recruitment Counselor and LOVED IT! It was hard not being able to interact with my sisters, but I'm close to girls from each chapter, so it wasn't that easy to guess my affiliation. We tend to get about 5 girls average from each chapter that are interested, mainly because they didn't enjoy the sorority side of recruitment... it works out ok.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shadowstar
there are 2 Rho Chis selected from each house, and they are all seniors. They fill out an application and the aps are reviewed by the Panhell VP and she selects the Rho Chis. we have spring recruitment, though, so the rho chis are only unaffiliated for about 2 weeks; it would be a lot harder if they had to disaffiliate for a whole summer.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

pi chi's

"Panhel (minus my chapter) voted to GET RID of the covering pictures rule.. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE .. ne way... so yeah.. not bitter or anything..."

I can't help but be so confused? Isn't the whole purpose to have your PI CHi's/Ro Chi's be unaffiliated and mysterious as possible! I know I would have definately seen pi chi pictures because of the composite... I know girls that tried to life up the cover to find out if they had pi chi's in the houses they liked!
*mk*
Old 02-09-2003, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaZetaWSU
Does anyone have a copy of their Rho Chi application that they would like to share?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to roselampturtle Send a message via Yahoo to roselampturtle
IM a RHO SIGMA!!

I have been chosen to be a Rho Sigma for the 2003 Formal Fall recruitment year! Im so excited and proud to be a Rho Sigma!

My chapter has 4 girls up as Rho Sigmas! ! ! Pan accepted 5-7 applications from each sorority, and then each of us had an application to fill out and an interview with Director of greek life, recruitment director, Rho sigma coordinator, and the assistant.

Some chapters at my school put up girls that aren't good rusher, which I don't think makes any sense, but oh well! Whatever makes them happy!

We have the past vp of recruitment up, past vp of new member ed, past academics chairwoman, and me(a melting pot of offices and postions). I can't wait to share this amazing experience with my sisters!

If you have any questions or words of wisdom, I would sure love to have them!!

Greek Love to everyone!

(took off signature :0) )

Last edited by roselampturtle; 02-18-2003 at 03:09 PM.