GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,471
2 members and 1,469 guests
IrishLake

Old 06-29-2003, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PixieChickMTSU
New Member Leadership Positions

HEY! As a PNM, I am VERY interested in leadership positions especially my first year as a pledge (If I get into a sorority!!)....I was just wondering, does your chapter hold specefic positions for incoming new members? Thanks!...feel free to AIM me as well! KKHBear24
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2003, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Most houses that I know of have pledge class positions, such as Pledge class prez, vp, etc.

Of course those only last the length of your pledgeship, but since most sorority pledgeships only last a mere 8 weeks, youre a full member in time to run for positions in the house.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Unregistered-

My chapter doesn't "HOLD" certain positions for new initiates.

In my chapter, the new member class elects their own officers--President, Finance, Philanthropy, Sisterhood, Social, etc. Each office is very important as they work closely with their respective chapter officer and they report back to the NM class.

When election time comes around, there are some offices that are NOT open to NMs--President, Recruitment, Ritual, Social, Member Development (for obvious reasons)--basically because we want those interested to have been in the chapter to know how EC is run and to know what it's like holding an office.

Still, offices like Campus Relations, Philanthropy, Scholarship, Operations, etc. are open to anyone who wishes to run for office.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PixieChickMTSU
Very Cool! Thanks for yalls input!!!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My house is similiar to chloe173's...you can be on committees, but not hold an elected or appointed office, except for Historian. An exception was made for my new member class because we were very low on members at the time, so some of us took on low-key positions (assistant WGC, Webmaster, GAMMA Rep, etc.) We hold elections right after initiation, so there is definitely a chance for leadership opportunities. This would be a great question to ask during recruitment - and as a NM, if you think you are interested in one area, you can get close to the sister holding that office so you can see more about it!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

you will be sooo busy before initiation, that you won't even notice you don't have a leadership position! there are usually lots of committee positions that need to be filled. they are a great way to get your feet wet before running for an office. definately get involved and have fun. i was president of my phi class, secretary (elected the dec following my oct initiation) and president the following year! somewhere in there, i was also a bunch of chair positions too!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sig doesn't have new member class positions... but you are allowed to run for positions as soon as you are initiated, most people start out as committee heads then move on to executive board positions, even if you don't have a committee head position you can be on a committee and help out with planning events and other chapter business.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
We have class pledge officers, but it also depends on the size of the pledge class. Really the duties of the pledge officers varies and depends on what our new member educator wants them to do. They can lead their own meetings, plan their own events for the chapter, and can even have meetings with their active office counterpart. Pledges can also be involved with committees, and we let our pledges lead campus events such as lip syncs, etc.