GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 1,263
2 members and 1,261 guests
indygphib

Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow *7* Things I LOVE about SIGMA!

As our RHOyal Sisterhood gears up to commemorate this our 81st Anniversary of providing Service & Progress to communities around the world, I'd like for us to share *7* things we LOVE about Sigma!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb I'll go 1st

1. The History! - Truly speaks for itself. What started as 7 young educators at a small predominately white midwestern university in the early 1920's has blossomed like the beautiful Tea RHOse into the Legacy of RHOyalty we share today that binds women from all around the globe.

**Our history is truly unique. We are and remain the First and ONLY Historically African American sorority founded on a predominately white campus.

Our history was created within the framework of a very hostile, racially charged, isolated environment. We did not have the support base of the black community. Our 7 Founder's sidestepped racism and sexism to found the 4th largest historically African American sorority in existence today.

2.Our Diversity! Although historically African American, our sorority has embraced women from all races, ethnicities, and walks of life since our inception. We do not need a "multi-cultural" label because our membership reflects our value of a women's individuality and the selection of only a chosen few. Our International Website can currently be viewed in French and Spanish.

Quality transcends all types of racial and social constructs we create for ourselves and reaches into every community of stellar women. The only thing that is common about a Sigma woman is that we are truly "WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE".

3.Our Elite Status You know sorors, people have jokes on us all day long about our size, but in reality our size is truly a blessing. Every member counts! I appreciate the fact that I KNOW somebody in every chapter that crosses in my state! I appreciate the fact that because we keep our memebrship ELITE I do NOT have the option of walking past another soror. We do not come into contact with Sigma women so frequently that we lose the joy and excitement of meeting a new sister. Don't be fooled by the hype sorors, keep it tight, Keep it tight, KEEP THE SISTERHOOD TIGHT LADIES!

4.Colors of RHOyalty! I LOVE our colors, RHOyal Blue and Gold are so beautiful together and they our reflective our RHOyal Legacy of Greatness.

5."Greater Service, Greater Progress" We don't just say it, we LIVE IT. We may only be 4 deep, but we provice service and give back to our community on a level that rivals that of chapters 40 deep. (Refer to the Elite size post). We are SERIOUS about service! I really appreciate our committment to the community - no need is to great or too small for us to tackle. That is why EVERY member we select must be of a "different breed" because we have real work to do sorors.

6. Tha Pretty Poodle Club! Did I mention that we are cute?! Sorors we can dress our behinds off. I've ran into MANY a sophisticated soror, whose pleasant personality instantly made you feel right at home. I like the fact that we can floss and not have to diminish another's "shine" to make ourselves look better. Oh and did I mention IT's ALL ABOUT THOSE SEXY 6'S?! One time for the club! *grin*

7.The Number of Perfection ...because it took "3 rough drafts before the masterpiece". ...because it only took 7 WOMEN to paint the world RHOyal Blue and Gold. ....because many are called but Sigma only CHOSES a Quality FEW...because there are NO WEAK WOMEN HERE.
...because I LOVE MY SIGMA GAMMA RHO!

Eeee-Yip!

Happy 81st Founders Day Sorors on Wednesday November 12, 2003!
Old 11-11-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Short and to the point...

1. The dedication and respect to our sisterhood that I see among our members.

2. Pride in knowing that although we may be few in number, we are still a force to be reckoned with.

3. The colors: majestic and powerful. When a rich royal blue is along side a well polished gold, it just stands out. The colors compliment so well.

4. Our Open Book, which is in our shield and our badge. For me, it means so much because I love to read and I try to live my life as an open book. Nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of.

5. Aurora, The Light of a New Day. To me that means looking forward to the future. Ever progressing.

6. Good reputation. When I meet people and tell them I'm a Sigma, I always hear nice things like, 'Oh, y'all are really smart' and 'You ladies really have class.'

7. Being a Pretty Poodle. 'Nuf said.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Only 7?????

Ok, here goes:

1. The STRENGTH of Sigma Women. I have found that truly, my Sorors are their Sister's Keeper.

2. The LOVE. When I meet new Sorors there's an instant bond of love and sisterhood, even if they crossed before I was born.

3. The SERVICE. My Sorors continually strive to make a difference in their communities, through Greater Service, Greater Progress.

4. The ROLEMODELS. Everywhere I look, my Sorors are getting promotions, taking on leadership roles in their churches, in the NPHC, at the office and at home.

5. The CONNECTION. We recognize that we have a bond with the AKA's, Delta's and Zeta's, and try to work together for the greater good. It's a healthy competition.

6. The HISTORY. It's such a captivating tale, that I have told it to children to help them go to sleep. Works better than popping a tape in the VCR.

7. The RHOYAL BLUE and GOLD. All I see is Blue and Gold!!!!!!! For me it is destiny rather than chance that my favorite color is blue, and my alma matter's colors are BLUE and GOLD.

I am so thankful that our founders were so visionary, and I just try to make them proud!

E-YIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

• Soror Mary Allison Gardner Little
  • Soror Nannie Mae Ghan Johnson
  • Soror Cubena McLure
  • Soror Bessie Downey Rhoades Martin
  • Soror Hattie Mae Annette Dulin Redford
  • Soror Vivian White Marbury
  • Soror Dorthy Whiteside

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 11-16-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

here i go!

seven things i love about SIGMA:
1: a SIGMA woman can dare to be different-- even if it means walking alone.

2: a SIGMA can say that her sorority is stable and independent: we have always stood as ONE organization for 81 years, before 1922, there was NEVER another organization in the WORLD named SIGMA GAMMA RHO, and our founders had a dream that they started ON THEIR OWN-- they didn't have any help, but they made it happen.

3. RHOyal blue and gold will forever and always be off the chain.

4. i can say that WE KNOW EACH OHTER-- and that's SISTERHOOD! we aren't just numbers calling each other "soror"; we really have a bond and know our commonalities between each other.

5. i can be myself and know that i still have a place in SIGMA!

6.overcoming obstacles is a part of our legacy-- we are the ONLY NPHC sorority founded on a predominantly white campus, so we keep on overcoming-- it's in our "genes", y'all!

7. SIGMA women are among the most down to earth, good natured, and friendly women i know-- which helped me decide to become one!
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi
Old 11-12-2003, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
Seven determined women who persevered on a predominately white campus in the height of KKKlandom whose focus on education and service has remained the Legacy of Sigma.

*Greater Service, Greater Progress*, the fact we truly live and make this motto a reality through our national and local programs and initiatives.

The *Sisterhood*: whether it be with some of my best Sigma sisterfriends or in fellowshipping with sorors in other cities, we definitely have a true blue bond.

Our emblems, traditions, and rituals we share in Sigma

*Scholarship*, but what else could you expect, as torchbearers of a sorority focused and founded on educational attainment.

The *Elegance* of who we are in action, attire, and attitude.

The *2 Rubies* we may wear with pride
Old 11-12-2003, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

1. Our history

2. Our beautiful colors

3. Our sisterhood

4. Our 81 years of "Greater Service, Greater Progress"

5. The fact that I can be my proud Sigma self. I have always been "different", yet I still fit in

6. Our strength! 81 years and still growing. That's work!

7. Our many chapters and Sorors all over the world

Old 11-12-2003, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Our 7 wonderful pearls, who sought to make a difference at Butler University on November 12, 1922.
2. Our Slogan "Greater Service, Greater Progress"
3. Tight knit bond of our Sisterhood(I am my sister's keeper)
4. Our colors Royal blue and Gold
5. Our national programs( Wee Savers, Operation Big bookbag,
Mwanamugimu Project just to name a few)
6. Our rich history
7. The wonderful accomplishments Sigma has made over the past 81 years!!

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 10-22-2004, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Soror Hendly [My Sands]

Soror Contreras [My Sands]

Soror Edwards [My Rhoad Poodle]

Soror Smith [She's a fabulous shutterbug]

Soror Aldridge [my dean]

Soror McKee [F1 is always holding it down]

Soror Skillern [one day she took care of my mom when I was unavailable]
Old 10-24-2004, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Our size-I can't imagine that I would feel the same excitement when meeting new sorors, if we had 1000 women in every chapter.

2. Our letters-Soror Bluethunder said it best. Our letters are our own.

3. Our colors-Royal blue and gold aren't my favorite colors, but I look damn good in them.

4. Our history-In 1922, seven teachers decided to form a new sorority. Not because they wanted to create a female counterpart for their boyfriends' fraternity, not because they wanted to look down their noses at others, not because they wanted an excuse to socialize with one another, but because they were commited to the bond of sisterhood, scholastic achievement and service to those less fortunate.

5. Our sisterhood-Membership really does have its privileges.

6. Our hymn-....Bound by ties of love and sisterhood...

7. Our coat of arms-The most well thought out and the best looking of all greek letter organizations.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
Soror Hendly [My Sands]

Soror Contreras [My Sands]

Soror Edwards [My Rhoad Poodle]

Soror Smith [She's a fabulous shutterbug]

Soror Aldridge [my dean]

Soror McKee [F1 is always holding it down]

Soror Skillern [one day she took care of my mom when I was unavailable]
Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PRODIGAL_SON1
7 THINGS I LOVE

Hello Celestial women of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. I know I'm not a soror but I would love to share with you 7 things that I LOVE about you women.

1. Your willingness to challenge "the norm" and dare to be different.

2. Your diversity.

3. All Sigma Gamma Rho's that I have met so far have an air of humbleness about them that is comforting and commendable.

3. Your colors are off tha chainz! (lol)

4. The strength of an SGRho is only surpassed by the size of her heart.

5. You strive for excellence in all that you do not only to improve yourself, but the entire community in which you live.

6. Your sorors of the Eta Tau chapter in Hattiesburg, Ms are to be commended on the unselfish love and support that they have shown the men of Iota Phi Theta.

7. Your founders had a vision of true womanhood and that vision is still ever present in you sorors till this day.

Happy 81st ladies!

Ow-Ow
Merwin "Prodigal Son" Brown
Vice Polaris
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.
Usm Colony Hattiesburg, Ms
Old 10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 7 THINGS I LOVE

Very kind of you to say. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by PRODIGAL_SON1
Hello Celestial women of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. I know I'm not a soror but I would love to share with you 7 things that I LOVE about you women.

1. Your willingness to challenge "the norm" and dare to be different.

2. Your diversity.

3. All Sigma Gamma Rho's that I have met so far have an air of humbleness about them that is comforting and commendable.

3. Your colors are off tha chainz! (lol)

4. The strength of an SGRho is only surpassed by the size of her heart.

5. You strive for excellence in all that you do not only to improve yourself, but the entire community in which you live.

6. Your sorors of the Eta Tau chapter in Hattiesburg, Ms are to be commended on the unselfish love and support that they have shown the men of Iota Phi Theta.

7. Your founders had a vision of true womanhood and that vision is still ever present in you sorors till this day.

Happy 81st ladies!

Ow-Ow
Merwin "Prodigal Son" Brown
Vice Polaris
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.
Usm Colony Hattiesburg, Ms
Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Thank you very much for your gracious comments.