GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 1,218
0 members and 1,218 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2004, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Possibly beginning AI...but not sure

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for posting on this board about AI. I've read many of your stories and have found them very helpful. I am thinking of starting up AI, not quite sure yet. I come from an undergrad school with a large Greek system, but did not go through recruitment due to knowing a lot of people at my school already. I have always sort of wondered, "What if I went through recruitment as an undergrad? What sorority would I have gotten into?" Well, fast forward a few years, and now my husband and I are living in a place where we know almost no one. He has a peer group at work, but I really don't. I really would like to meet new people, and I'm starting to think AI could help with that. I just feel unsure. Another thing is I might be starting grad school in the fall. I know there is one chapter at my potential grad school campus that takes grad students, but I think the age thing would be weird. Also, in looking at different sororities to send out PNAM letters I'm thinking about staying away from sororities that were at my undergrad campus. I don't know why. So as you can see I am in need of advice, encouragement, kick in the butt, etc. Thanks in advance!!

Sorry guys, after posting this I realized I should have put this in the AI thread. Silly me! Asking for your forgiveness....

Last edited by amgn253; 02-23-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-24-2004, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey girl! I'm not a AI or alumni, but I sent you a PM! But I have two questions for ya:

1. You said you were staying away from sororities that were on your campus? Why?
- If its b/c you already have opnions about those or certain sororities, I encourage you to hang out on GC! The reason I did not rush was b/c I had a horrible experience with some sisters in a certain chapter. For three years, the mere mention of this group made me say "Oh, I hate so and so". Then I came here, and I met some talented, sweet and wonderful sisters of that chapter. So much so, that I even started giving those girls a chance again and have found new friends in this chapter.
So I really encourage you to hang out on GC, pm some of the members and get to know some of the girls! Just b/c some of the girls at your undergrad may have been a certain way - it does not represent the whole national sorority itself.
So if that happens to be why.....hang in there.
Plus, checking out national websites are awesome for info and support in finding your home!

2. Grad School?

- Listen to some of the AI sisters on here and they will guide you through this process!!!

Good luck!!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
Hey girl! I'm not a AI or alumni, but I sent you a PM! But I have two questions for ya:

1. You said you were staying away from sororities that were on your campus? Why?
- If its b/c you already have opnions about those or certain sororities, I encourage you to hang out on GC!
The flip side of that might be if she goes to an XYZ event and tells them where she went to school, the question would be "well then why didn't you go XYZ while you were there?" I think she has the right idea, quite frankly.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Delurking

Hi,

I'm delurking to say I've recently started thinking about AI, too. I could not go through rush in college because of financial reasons, plus I transferred as a junior.

I remember the sororities who invited me to formals, etc., though. I went to Mississippi State but had friends at Ole Miss, and when I visited Ole Miss, I stayed with one friend at her house and those girls were soooo nice, too. My best friend's daughter just pledged this particular sorority. My best friend was in the same situation in college that I was. I've thought about talking her to see if she would be interested in both of us pursuing AI. I was so excited when her daughter pledged this sorority because the girls I knew in college from this group were just great!

So I think those GLO's would be the ones I would investigate for AI. I know alumni from these organizations, but I don't think any of them are very active in their alumni groups anymore.

Any advice? What do you think about the two of us pursuing AI sort of together?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

a simple explanation

as to why she didn't join a sorority as an undergrad would suffice, although i doubt that anyone would ask why she didn't join that particular group while in college. something such as " i wasn't able to join a sorority at that particular time" should be an acceptable answer. ai may take awhile, so while you are waiting on ai, you might check out another organization such as jr. woman's club or jr. league. or volunteer some time with the philanthrophy that the sorority you hope to join sponsors. you might meet sorority members there who might aid you in your quest.

as for our other poster thinking of pursuing ai with a friend, it might be better if you each pursue ai separately-not at different times necessarily. you might both independently pursue ai at the same time, but don't make it look like a "package deal", to the sorority in question. best of luck to all pursuing ai.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry that message wasn't very clear. I think I was running a little low on caffeine.

What I meant to say was that I thought we could possibly both pursue AI at the same time if she's interested. (More as support for each other/definitely not a package deal.)

I'm thinking she probably doesn't know it's even possible to do. We both waited anxiously for word from her daughter during rush last year. She'd (my friend) had had no particular experience with her daughter's sorority, but because of my experience with this group, I was really excited about her choice!

Anyway, just wanted to clarify now that the coffee's kicked in ;-)
Old 04-04-2004, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
MaggietheCat, go for it. Before I outed myself on here as a PNAM, I mentioned that I was thinking about it to one friend of mine. She went to school at Daley College in Chicago, where there is no Greek system. She had no idea that AI existed before we had that conversation. She's now planning to pursue it too...obviously we are not a package deal but it's good to have that mutual support.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieTheCat
Sorry that message wasn't very clear. I think I was running a little low on caffeine.

What I meant to say was that I thought we could possibly both pursue AI at the same time if she's interested. (More as support for each other/definitely not a package deal.)

I'm thinking she probably doesn't know it's even possible to do. We both waited anxiously for word from her daughter during rush last year. She'd (my friend) had had no particular experience with her daughter's sorority, but because of my experience with this group, I was really excited about her choice!

Anyway, just wanted to clarify now that the coffee's kicked in ;-)
While it sounds like a fun idea, I would suggest you BOTH going it alone in your search. For starters, your friend *may* be at a disadvantage right now. Phi Mu tends to NOT AI mothers of collegiate members, until the members have been come alumnae. There are actual reasons WHY this is the case and the reasons make some sense in the long run.

I don't know about other GLO's.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

WHY NOT LOOK INTO IT?

It cost very little monetarily wise but maybe time, time wise!

The Primary Thing is, is this something that you really want to do and why.

If it is just to try and join a Soroity, dont!

But if it is something that you think, you will enjoy, meet new people/Sisters and work and I do mean work, then go for it!

The Ladies of GC are very willing to help anyway they can as I am sure you have seen!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

AI as a grad student

Hi!

I joined Alpha Phi through AI as a grad student. I have to be honest, it was one of the best things I think I've ever done!

From the perspective of being a grad student, and now sorority alum, it's really interesting. I see the girls in the collegiate chapter all over campus and I feel really proud to be an Alpha Phi. When people learn of my Greek affiliations, they are surprised, but always have good things to say in response, and I can sense a new-found respect.

I'm very active in our alumnae chapter, which is something that, for me, contrasts my graduate studies very well. It's an opportunity for me to build professional networks and friendships while I'm still in school, and focus on something completely different than my degree when I need a break from it. I've also met a lot of women through our alumnae chapter who are grad students on my campus, and it's nice to have lunch with someone who doesn't care about the politics in my school.

Socially, some of the best friends that I have are women I met in our alumnae chapter. They are my closest friends and people I can always count on for anything. We all go out on the weekends, have holiday dinners together, take roadtrips and do all kinds of fun things. And to emphasize the role these women play in my life today, a couple weeks ago I was in an accident that landed me in the ER. One of my Alpha Phi sisters was there and took me to the hospital, stayed all night and the next day to make sure I was ok. When the rest of my sisters found out what had happened, they were all there to check on me and offer support almost immediately - even before my family!

I can honestly say that AI has changed my life and I'm so glad I did it!