GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 806
1 members and 805 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned

Has Qaddafi changed?

While he was renouncing terrorism, he was suspected of setting up the assassination of the Saudi Monarch to destabilize the region.

Terrorists don't change. His hands are bloody just like any other terrorists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/10/in...10LIBY.html?hp

-Rudey
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Has Qaddafi changed?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
While he was renouncing terrorism, he was suspected of setting up the assassination of the Saudi Monarch to destabilize the region.

Terrorists don't change. His hands are bloody just like any other terrorists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/10/in...10LIBY.html?hp

-Rudey
I'm not sure how Saudis generally feal about their monarch. If they have a favorable view, I would see an act like that just cementing their resolve against groups like Al Quaeda. For the US, something like that might actually be helpful as far as our middle east policy and the war against terrorism.

I think at this point as far as Libya goes, the US is best off playing with the hand it's dealt. Pakistan, for example, while not being a model of democracy is much better for the US as an ally than as an enemy.

I'm still on the fence about Libya.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Re: Re: Has Qaddafi changed?

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I'm not sure how Saudis generally feal about their monarch. If they have a favorable view, I would see an act like that just cementing their resolve against groups like Al Quaeda. For the US, something like that might actually be helpful as far as our middle east policy and the war against terrorism.

I think at this point as far as Libya goes, the US is best off playing with the hand it's dealt. Pakistan, for example, while not being a model of democracy is much better for the US as an ally than as an enemy.

I'm still on the fence about Libya.
Most Saudis do not like the monarchy. The extremist element of Saudi society sees the House of Saud as a corrupt, debauchery-ridden family with no legitimate authority over the Islamic holy sites around Saudi Arabia. They refuse to even call it "Saudi" Arabia because that signifies the Saud family's leadership over the Arabian Peninsula. The moderate, mainstream sector of Saudis sees the monarchy also as corrupt, but also as pandering to the extremists and ulemas (so-called holy men). I've never really understood why we consider Saudi Arabia to be an ally.

Libya seems to be a lot of hot air but no action. However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep an eye out on the situation. Qadaffi shows signs of some serious mental issues, as he has ever since he came into power. If you want to talk about flip-flopping, he's your man. Not to mention his treatment of foreign dignitaries isn't what you'd call gracious.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Has Qaddafi changed?

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
Most Saudis do not like the monarchy. The extremist element of Saudi society sees the House of Saud as a corrupt, debauchery-ridden family with no legitimate authority over the Islamic holy sites around Saudi Arabia. They refuse to even call it "Saudi" Arabia because that signifies the Saud family's leadership over the Arabian Peninsula. The moderate, mainstream sector of Saudis sees the monarchy also as corrupt, but also as pandering to the extremists and ulemas (so-called holy men). I've never really understood why we consider Saudi Arabia to be an ally.

Libya seems to be a lot of hot air but no action. However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep an eye out on the situation. Qadaffi shows signs of some serious mental issues, as he has ever since he came into power. If you want to talk about flip-flopping, he's your man. Not to mention his treatment of foreign dignitaries isn't what you'd call gracious.
You're right. He should probably get the cell next to Saddam -- along with the complimentary torture/interrogation.

Saudi Arabia is our ally because they sell us oil. I think that's about it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Has Qaddafi changed?

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
You're right. He should probably get the cell next to Saddam -- along with the complimentary torture/interrogation.

Saudi Arabia is our ally because they sell us oil. I think that's about it.
You know what works when governments move towards Democracy? When there is a stricter government in place prior that isn't a Democracy that help ease that shift. This isn't opinion.

Now take the Saudis. I can easily call them bloody murderers. Even today they teach children in their Madrasas about how Americans are infidels. They breed murderers and hate.

At the same time what would happen if the Saudi Royals were removed? Do you honestly think that extremism would not come to an end?

What they need is to force these bloody rulers to stop inciting hate. They need to push them to granting more liberties - and then after the population has adjusted to these shifts and the extremist elements are liquidated, should they be pressured to take more of a ceremonial role.

-Rudey