GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,609
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, CKattygirl
» Online Users: 944
0 members and 944 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2001, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonAngel2001 Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonAngel2001
Thumbs down MTV Documenting Intake Process???

I heard that MTV wants to do a documentary type program that would follow sororities and fraternities through the pledge/intake process and a semester or two after the process was over.

And they would like to have diversity on the show which means they would also want to include an african american going through their intake process.

I was wondering how you all felt about about this?
Old 07-02-2001, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 07-02-2001, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Uhm, I'm going to take "NO" for $1,000

Are you serious?! The producers of these reality television shows are taking it a little too far. I admitt it's fun to watch others live their lives on television but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Documenting the intake process of a sorority/fraternity takes away from the meaning of the process. What goes on during an intake process is priveleged and confidential. If you document it, you might as well throw out the idea of it being a Secret society.

[This message has been edited by candygirl (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
I know one organization that won't be participating in that. I heard something about that about a year or so ago. Have you seen that commercial about the real life of sorority girls? I think THAT IS what MTV produced.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Alias_01
Can I hear the congergation give a HELL NO!?!?!?!?

[This message has been edited by Alias_01 (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I don't any of the divine nine would allow it!! They can forget it!!
Sunshine
Old 07-03-2001, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

No, I wouldn't disrespect the process by allowing looky-loos into a sacred ceremony!
Old 07-04-2001, 12:20 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by candygirl:
Uhm, I'm going to take "NO" for $1,000

Are you serious?! The producers of these reality television shows are taking it a little too far. I admitt it's fun to watch others live their lives on television but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Documenting the intake process of a sorority/fraternity takes away from the meaning of the process. What goes on during an intake process is priveleged and confidential. If you document it, you might as well through out the idea of it being a Secret society.
sororities and fraternaties aren't secret societies...if they were secret you would not know about them...hence the term secret society...they are organizations that keep some things sacred...like you do in your own family...or secret for those that just want to feel good about using the word...
Old 07-03-2001, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lastpoetnsite
much respect...

although i am not a member of any organization. i am just curious as to why everyone is getting up in arms. i would understand if the MIP process was not in place but since it is...and no one is supposed to be hiding anything then why all the alarm.
no one would be able to see any of the formal initiation ceremony be it for professional GLO's, service GLO's, social/service BGLOs/GLOs etc.

so if they just showed from beginning to end *minus the "secret stuff" like showing who individuals voted for, the ceremony of initiation and whatnot then why all the alarm?

if everything is supposed to be on the up and up. i would think that one thing they would show or possibly like to show is that the terrorizing of the past...*that people are so up in arms about: i.e. hazing* has stopped. i would suspect that this could be a wonderful public relations coup. especially for organizations that are getting sued out of their headquarters. i mean to show the world that hey...everything is cool now.

my biggest question is...what could it hurt? would it do more harm than good? doubtful. the greek system in the eyes of the public is in a shambles...you can only go up from here.

just some thoughts.

peace
Old 07-03-2001, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CelestialBlu1:
sororities and fraternaties aren't secret societies...if they were secret you would not know about them...hence the term secret society...they are organizations that keep some things sacred...like you do in your own family...or secret for those that just want to feel good about using the word...

And you would be correct! An example of a secret society would be the Skulls. The society is secret, its membership is secret...many U.S. Presidents have belonged to secret societies (the Bushes). Actually, Masonry, and so forth, are more "secretive" than HBGLOs.
MTV wants to commericalize everything. Maybe the HWGLOs will let MTV film their rush and what not, but MTV won't be documenting nay part of an HBGLO experience---

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 01-30-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonAngel2001 Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonAngel2001
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by lastpoetnsite:

no one would be able to see any of the formal initiation ceremony be it for professional GLO's, service GLO's, social/service BGLOs/GLOs etc.

so if they just showed from beginning to end *minus the "secret stuff" like showing who individuals voted for, the ceremony of initiation and whatnot then why all the alarm?
The thing is that from my understanding the camera crew would be with the person 24 hours a day meaning that everything would be recorded including ceremonies etc. and that is something that is sacred and special and I surely wouldn't want that on tv for the world to see.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In response to Poets comments:

As for Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., ALL fraternity business is held in secrecy. Meetings are off limits to everyone, to include bruz who aren't financial. When a prospective starts the MIP, he isn't in a formal meeting, but he is being given information that is specifically meant for him. If MIP was a public process, then all the info passed would be done in public. But it isn't....it's done in privacy.

It also teaches the prospective about discretion and learning through association. So to invade the process with MTV's cameras eliminates elements detrimental to the survival of the secrets of the organization. It sets a precedent for public dissemination. I cant emphasize how important the tenet of discretion is... and initiated members know just what I mean.

It'll be interesting to see where MTV goes with this....

ROOOOOO!!!

------------------
T.J.
Da Nasty Lone Dog
1-Phi Omicron-SMR '00
Check me out:www.angelfire.com/ca6/goldboots
Old 07-03-2001, 01:26 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by lastpoetnsite:
much respect...

although i am not a member of any organization. i am just curious as to why everyone is getting up in arms. i would understand if the MIP process was not in place but since it is...and no one is supposed to be hiding anything then why all the alarm.

if everything is supposed to be on the up and up. i would think that one thing they would show or possibly like to show is that the terrorizing of the past...*that people are so up in arms about: i.e. hazing* has stopped. i would suspect that this could be a wonderful public relations coup. especially for organizations that are getting sued out of their headquarters. i mean to show the world that hey...everything is cool now.

my biggest question is...what could it hurt? would it do more harm than good? doubtful. the greek system in the eyes of the public is in a shambles...you can only go up from here.

just some thoughts.

peace
hazing has not stopped...that may be the problem...
Old 07-03-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CelestialBlu1:
I guess clarification is needed. I used the term for it's literal meaning. Hence, a sorority/fraternity is a society, by definition, that has secrets which are priveleged to those within the society.

Old 07-03-2001, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi All!

I brought this topic up earlier this year on greek life. Here's the link http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/001393.html which contains the e-mail that was circulation asking for participants.

------------------
Have nothing to do this weekend? Check out the Events Forum

Kelli
#12 Delta Nu (Savannah State University) Wtr. 1994
MAL, Southern Region

An equal opportunity grumpy person.