GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,236
1 members and 1,235 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-28-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I tell chapters that I'm interested in COB

I am interesed in participating in COB at my school since I was not extended a bid, but I am still very interested in a few chapters.

I am a sophomore, and know a few girls in some chapters, and was planning on talking to them about this situation. However, I was wondering if there is another option to letting chapters know that your are interested in COBing? COuld I email the recruitment chair and explain that I am still interested and so forth? And if I do, what should I say in that email so I don't sound pushy or over-excited to join?

Thank you for all of your help!

Last edited by myersm; 08-28-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

i would contact the greek life or panhellenic office and see if they have a list going of girls who would like to participate in informal recruitment-if they do, then have them put you on the list. let your friends in sororities know that you would love to visit their house again.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely talk to your friends who are in sororities that you are interested in - let them know that you still hope to be a part of a sorority and that you are planning to pursue informal recruitment. When I decided to sign up for informal recruitment, I mentioned it to a AXiD friend, and I know she mentioned me to the membership vice president and the COR chairman.

Also, keep an eye open for announcements, etc around campus about informal recruitment events.

I personally would not recommend emailing the sororities directly. I know it is hard to be patient, but the best course of action(besides chatting with your friends who are in sororities) is probably to sign up for informal through the Panhellenic Office on your campus. If/when a chapter decides to begin Continous Open Recruitment, they use this list to contact interested women.

I realize you've probably heard this a lot, but keep an open mind -some chapters that may not be as adept at formal recruitment can really shine during informal. Plus, informal just a lot less stressful and can be a lot of fun. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Definitely talk to the greek life office, and of course, keep an eye out for advertised COB events.

Also, talk to your friends who are in sororities, and let them know you're interested. If you don't know anyone in a given chapter, get to know a couple of members. A sorority that can only extend a few bids is not going to advertise their COB events; the sisters are going to think about women whom they already know, and invite just those women to their COB events.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

If you contact sororities directly (and often) you could appear to look desperate, and I wouldn't think that would be good.

Of course, I know nothing here, don't listen to me.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with ktsnake-- don't overcontact. Register your interest formally, tell your Greek friends that you're very interested in COB/COR and learning more about sorority membership, and see what happens.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
This is really tough to answer, because it differs not only campus to campus, but chapter to chapter. Those that do a lot of COR are excited to be contacted by a PNM, but those that do not may not know how to take it.

I would contact your Rho Chi and the Greek Life office ASAP, though. Let them know that you are interested in snap bidding, and you would like your name passed along to houses that are below quota/total after recruitment. If you have a specific chapter or chapters that you really loved, you may be able to mention that, too.