GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,682
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zahaeymaarley89
» Online Users: 995
1 members and 994 guests
zahaeymaarley89

Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Lower Quotas This Year

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that quotas in general seem to be a LOT lower this year than in previous years? Since this is the first year many of us are using NPC's new system, does anyone think they are related?

I could see how the new system may result in many more women withdrawing during recruitment so overall quotas are lower. Though more chapters may be making quota, we seem to be taking in less total NMs than in previous years.

Maybe it's too early to tell. Just my observations on what happened at Cal and what a lot of other people seem to be mentioning about other schools this year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 PM

UCF not only had a lower quota total but we also had a smaller number of women sign up for recruitment. I'm not sure of the reason although I think it has to do with the new online registration system and some of the problems the greek community had last year. On the brighter side, more houses made quota this year.

Quota is usually in the high 60s to low 70s and it was only 43 this year. That's a tiny pledge class for UCF standards!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, UK's quota dropped by about 10 this year... our pledge class now is only 52 compared to my pledge class last year of 63.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
I think it has more to do with fewer women signing up than with the new release figure method. Over the last several years, numbers have been declining at many universities - probably due to several factors. I can think of a few - more student organizations on campus, negative publicity for GLO's, little positive publicity from campus Panhellenics, "cut-throat" recruitment schools, 9/11 and I'm sure everyone could add something for their own part of the world that effected it.

What we really need to look at is not necessarily what quota was but what percentage (compared to previous years) are actually getting a bid.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I don't know how fully the school that I advise - Iowa State - is using the new method, however, this year only 7 chapters made quota, which is the same as last year. There are 13 chapters. That said, I don't think that's the reason for lower quotas.
Last year, 290 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment at ISU. This year, 231 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment. That's a pretty big drop. What I found to be strange was the amount of women that signed up for COB before formal had even occured - 64. Perhaps they're trying to save some $$. Participating in formal can cost about $225, plus you move in early, so if you have a summer job you'd have to quit that early. COB is free.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 PM

"this year only 7 chapters made quota, which is the same as last year. There are 13 chapters. That said, I don't think that's the reason for lower quotas.
Last year, 290 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment at ISU. This year, 231 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment. "

That seems strange that a fairly large state school would have so few in FR. I am surprised there are 13 chapters actually. If everyone stayed in FR with no drop outs that would make quota only 18!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally posted by irishpipes
"this year only 7 chapters made quota, which is the same as last year. There are 13 chapters. That said, I don't think that's the reason for lower quotas.
Last year, 290 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment at ISU. This year, 231 women signed up to participate in formal recruitment. "

That seems strange that a fairly large state school would have so few in FR. I am surprised there are 13 chapters actually. If everyone stayed in FR with no drop outs that would make quota only 18!
I think quota was 16 acutally when all was said and done.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

The UCF school newspaper just released a very unflattering article about the drop in numbers. As ZTAngel mentioned, until this year UCF was on a high, with PNM turnout getting larger and larger each year.

So it's leveling out at UCF... That's a sigh of relief for the chapters-- there's 11 of them bursting at the seams! I won't panic for the school until the number drops substantially.

Still if recruitment registrations are down across this board in the US/Canada, this is a good opportunity to examine how each NPC is relating to today's college women-- maybe take some time to reassess "who is the likely-joiner" and continue to build on programming that will be attractive to that likely-joiner, reinforce zero tolerance hazing policies, and work with administrations to create a friendly Greek climate on campus.

... I feel the recent hazing incidents that have made national news and GLO/Admin conflicts have caused some to shy away from pursuing membership. This could account for the drops in numbers, as well as the continuing trend of the non-traditional college student taking over the campuses (this isn't a bad thing; we just have to market to those students in a different way.)

ETA: The most immediate thing that chapters and CPC's can do is promote Greek Life everyday! In your words and actions, wear letters, be involved on campus, provide all-campus programming and events, get involved with student orientation, and continue to be exemplary campus leaders and scholars.

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-08-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment numbers at the U of Iowa were down as well -- only 400 women went through this fall as opposed to 500-600 that tradtionally have gone through. There are 14 NPC chapters on campus; quota was 27 and I know not everyone made quota (though I don't know who did besides the chapter I advise).

I think the decline in numbers may have something to do with the overall decline in enrollment at both Iowa and Iowa State, though I don't think it can totally account for the sharp decline in numbers in both schools from the previous year.

Total at both schools needs to be revisited and adjusted.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

At Oklahoma State I believe the new release figures did have something to do with the lower quota. We had 657 PNMs register for formal recruitment and 525 accepted bids. I believe that number of PNMs who withdrew was higher because of larger releases earlier. I discussed this with the Sorority Affairs office. They felt that many of the PNMs are would have declined their bids or depledged. I agree to a certain extent. I think that the way a lot of things are done is different since I "rushed" so you can't blame low quota on just the new release figures.

Last edited by lyrelyre; 06-18-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm alum now, I don't know a lot of the details about how recruitment is run. How well-informed were the PNMs before rush started about this new release system? Were they told clearly that the cuts would be bigger at the beginning and not to be discouraged? I am just wondering.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

slight tangent:

Just from browsing several recent threads/comments, it sounds like the PNMs on some campuses are clamoring for COB. On those campuses, I hope the college Panhellenics evaluate their options and the best use of chapters' and members' energy, time, and money. While formal recruitment is a fun tradition, it may have outlived its usefulness at some schools.

I think this is one of many situations NPC had in mind as they revamped recruitment policies to allow for more local options. Not all campuses/student bodies are the same. Nor are inter/national officers in the best position to decide what works best for each campus.

Change is hard and uncomfortable but also exciting and often necessary. Good luck to everyone - these next few years are going to be exciting, challenging, and really important for the NPC system. Thanks to everyone at every level for your hard work!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

St. Louis U's quotas actually went up. The range was 49-52. We also had the most girls ever go through recruitment. (331) They are thinking of bringing a new chapter to campus within the next 2 years. Currently there's ADPi, GPhiB, DG, KD, and SK, and we'd all appreciate smaller quotas.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Would smaller quotas allow more GLO expansion?

With that said, this may be the wheel still turning and now because of many things like higher schools cost that it is detering some from paying out the extra money?

The problem is, the extra cost is a lot more worth it than they think at the moment!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-14-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

An interesting thing: quota at the U of MN was lower than it has been on average the past 12 years. It was lower than it has been every year for the past 4 years.

But the percentage of people signed up who also accepted bids was higher - significantly higher - than ever before. In addition, for the first time that I can remember, all groups took within 2 of quota (with adds). The one group that did not take quota missed by 1. That is absolutely amazing!

Finally, all groups are within 15 of total, instead of 5 (of 9) groups being at or above, and the other 4 being 20-30 below.

All this to say, the new release figures are a colossal pain to implement (imho), but are well worth the agony. Yes, I think the new method is directly related to lower quotas, but there are other things that are also related, and I believe that over the long haul the benefits are going to outweigh the detriments.

A note: the fee for going through formal recruitment at the U of MN was raised this year from $0 to $7.00. This was an effort to retain people between sign-ups and actual party dates, and it seems to have worked.