GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,504
0 members and 1,504 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

OSU and Sororities

My daughter will be attending Ohio State University in the fall. She had planned on going to Virginia Tech, but changed her mind at the last minute. I know she had been interested in looking into sororities at VT. I'm not too sure that OSU is much into sororities. I think it would be a great opportunity to make a large university a little bit smaller and more personal. Does anyone have info for me?

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this question. Thanks for your help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Maman View Post
I'm not too sure that OSU is much into sororities. I think it would be a great opportunity to make a large university a little bit smaller and more personal. Does anyone have info for me?

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this question. Thanks for your help.
Considering the extensive list of sororities found at the OSU sorority website, I'd say that OSU is very much into their sororities.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Ohio State actually has a thriving sorority community. I go to school in Ohio so I have tons of friends who are in sororities there.
Here's a link to OSU Panhellenic Association:

http://www.osugreeks.com/pha/

This site has all the info you need about formal and informal sorority recruitment, links to the different chapter websites, costs, and info for parents as well.

OSU is huge, and sororities are a great option to make a big school seem smaller.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-06-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would agree with KSUViolet that OSU has a thriving sorority community.

I attended Michigan State, which has a lot of similarities to OSU in terms of undergraduate population. (Greek Life actually seems to be more prevalent at OSU than at MSU.) I also currently reside in Ohio and serve as a chapter advisor at BGSU. Have heard nothing but positive things about OSU's Greek system. My first cousin just completed her freshman year at OSU, and I'm encouraging her to participate in recruitment this fall.

Do you presently reside in Ohio? If your daughter is looking to obtain letters of recommendation (I don't believe they are an absolute requirement at OSU, but they never hurt), there are several active Alumnae Panhellenics in Ohio. I believe the Cleveland area is the largest, but there's also an organized group in the Toledo area. Not sure about Cincy.

Regarding your comment about making a big university a little smaller...I absolutely agree. I joined my chapter as a freshman, and it helped to make a huge university a lot less overwhelming! (Going from a small town of 3,000 to a huge university of 40,000+ undergraduate students was like a big culture shock...my sorority definitely gave me a "home away from home" on campus, and yet I still had the opportunity to explore everything else that the university had to offer.)
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally a recruitment bit about Ohio State! I'm thrilled! Ohio State does have a great Greek system. Their Tri Delta chapter was awarded chapter of the year in 2004 by the executive office (not bragging..promise) and philanthropy work by all organizations is a big deal around the campus area. The houses are pretty and well kept.Their rush is in January so your daughter will have the first semester to get accustomed somewhat to college life and experience the joy that is Buckeye football. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. Oh the link (if you need it) to the Columbus Area Panhellenic is
http://www.geocities.com/ColumbusAP/
I'm sure Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo have area panhellenics if you are not near Columbus.
Go Bucks!

Last edited by BuckeyeTriDelta; 06-06-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post

Regarding your comment about making a big university a little smaller...I absolutely agree. I joined my chapter as a freshman, and it helped to make a huge university a lot less overwhelming! (Going from a small town of 3,000 to a huge university of 40,000+ undergraduate students was like a big culture shock...my sorority definitely gave me a "home away from home" on campus, and yet I still had the opportunity to explore everything else that the university had to offer.)
Agreed. My school (also in OH) was pretty big (27,000 undergrads). That's part of the reason I joined. It was like having an instant "place" on campus where I belonged.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
Oh the link (if you need it) to the Columbus Area Panhellenic is
http://www.geocities.com/ColumbusAP/
I'm sure Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo have area panhellenics if you are not near Columbus.
Go Bucks!
The Cleveland Alumnae Panhellenic website is http://www.clevelandpanhellenic.org

There is an active Toledo group (I live in the Toledo area), but no website. (At least, I don't think we have a website? I just started getting involved with the group very recently.) If you happen to be in the Toledo area, I can provide you with the contact information for the group.

Dayton and Cincinnati probably both do have APH groups (given that there are universities with Greek Life in both cities), but I don't know much about them. You could contact the NPC to find out their contact info, if you happen to live in that part of the state.

(Of course, this is making the assumption that you're in Ohio at all. lol)
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

My cousin lives in her sorority house at OSU and has nothing but good things to say about the Greek system there. Good luck to your daughter, and tell her to keep an open mind!