GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,009
1 members and 1,008 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Superficial Question

So not terribly important but I was wondering as a pnm, fake nails, do or don't? They can look cute but they can also come off as tacky so just wondering what the general consensus was.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I'm not in a panhellenic sorority, but I think the clue is to look tasteful. I wouldn't get the 6 inch long acrylics in some funky color.

I think, just a regular set of acrylics with white tips is fine. The key is to look tasteful and presentable. If you have doubts about it, I would say, not do it.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Mmmm....if your regular nails are bitten or break all the time, I would say go ahead and get them. But get natural length and a neutral color, not the 5 inch ones that have the Mona Lisa painted on them or something.

If you are going to do that and you're not used to them, do a "try out" before rush just to make sure you can get used to the feeling of them.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I hate fake nails. I agree that if you get them, do a nice, solid color or french mani as opposed to lime green with tiger stripes. However, you are more than just your nails so if you want them, get 'em. If a sorority cuts you because they don't like your manicure, it could only mean one of two things- 1) you wouldn't want to be in that sorority anyway, or 2) you really have nothing else going for you.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLynn View Post
So not terribly important but I was wondering as a pnm, fake nails, do or don't? They can look cute but they can also come off as tacky so just wondering what the general consensus was.
I think it's going to vary a lot from campus to campus. Any chance you could actually see what the sorority women on your campus do with their nails?

Treating yourself to a manicure and pedicure right before recruitment is probably a great idea anyway, but I'd go conservative with any polish. I'd try to go with a flattering neutral that you could wear the whole time.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on you and your campus really. Personally, I probably wouldn't notice the PNM's fake nails if they were done in a classy way (not terribly long or painted a really bright color). But I think if you just have regular length nails and they are in decent shape, a simple manicure and polish would do just fine.

However, I am a big fan that if you are wearing open toed shoes you should get a pedi!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 PM

I'd say if you do fake nails, do something simple like a single color polish or French manicure. I saw lots of girls during recruitment with nice French manicures.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think anyone notices fingernails unless they have been bitten down to nubs OR are longer than is natural. The only time I've ever heard anyone talk about a PNM's fingernails was when a PNM had very, very long fake nails in a ridiculous color that in no way matched her outfit.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally wouldn't, if you don't usually wear them. I think it's really important to be yourself. Just present the best "you" there is. Get a nice mani-pedi and it will relax you, too.

Rush isn't like a prom, a one-day thing. I think that approaching it as a step will also put you in the right frame of mind. It's the first step of possibly a great journey. (yes I know that sounds lame)

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
I personally wouldn't, if you don't usually wear them. I think it's really important to be yourself. Just present the best "you" there is. Get a nice mani-pedi and it will relax you, too.

Rush isn't like a prom, a one-day thing. I think that approaching it as a step will also put you in the right frame of mind. It's the first step of possibly a great journey. (yes I know that sounds lame)
Good point. You don't want to do anything that's going to make you feel awkward and if you don't usually wear them, fake nails can feel weird, or at least they did the times I tried them. Plus they can kind of screw up your real nails.

If you don't usually wear them and your nails are in good shape, you're probably better off without. If you do wear them, the consensus seems to be to keep them understated.

Good luck in recruitment!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I know it was kind of a dumb question but I'm a little nervous and I just want to make sure I, um...present? myself in the best possible way.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If acrylics will help you feel more polished and confident, then go for it. If they are going to make you feel weird, then don't get them.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
If acrylics will help you feel more polished and confident, then go for it. If they are going to make you feel weird, then don't get them.
I think that's great advice!