GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,698
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, PriscillaT
» Online Users: 699
1 members and 698 guests
g41965

Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Penalties

Hey! I was just wondering if any group has found a penalty system that works well. We had a community service event planned for tonight that 6 of the girls said they would be at. Five of them have backed out. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion and I would like to implement some sort of system so they realize that attendance is extremely important. During their Pledge period we used the point system but I did not really like it so I was hoping that I could get some useful ideas from you guys and gals. Any help is appreciated!

*A sister in Zeta Xi is for eternity*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Set up a judicial board. Let the girls know that if they do not contact you within 24 hours before the event with a valid excuse, they will be written up to the judicial board and given a punishment.

Fines, more community service, no voice at meetings, not allowed to attend certain events, etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

fines.

we didnt want to go there, but we added them and now we have no problem getting girls to show up. for a while they were doing it because they had to or else they would be finned, but this semester, theyre showing up more for the reasons of wanting to be there and just because theyre now used to coming to events.

we have fines for everything from being late to meetings to missing meeting to missing rush events, rituals, you name it, we probably have a fine for it.

its also nice, because not having nationals to give us money, we now have another source of funds every semester.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you TPA!!

Last edited by ZetaXiDelta; 11-15-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am definitely going to bring this up with the other members of the Sanctions Committee. This is our first semester on campus, and the first class that we have initiated, so we are still learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPhiSunshine View Post
fines.

we didnt want to go there, but we added them and now we have no problem getting girls to show up. for a while they were doing it because they had to or else they would be finned, but this semester, theyre showing up more for the reasons of wanting to be there and just because theyre now used to coming to events.

we have fines for everything from being late to meetings to missing meeting to missing rush events, rituals, you name it, we probably have a fine for it.

its also nice, because not having nationals to give us money, we now have another source of funds every semester.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
we used fines for not going to mandatory events

we also have misconduct forms which can be written out for not doing their position, misconduct with a sister or a new member, etc. They are then given to eboard to discuss an appropriate "punishment" or how to deal with it. Usually a first offense is just talking to them (Pres and vp or something) and then it progresses from there depending on what happened. I began the program about 2 years ago, so things aren't so clearcut and we've had some ppl abuse them (writing up a sister over petty things) but they've also come in handy and provide documentation for later.

Also, there is a certain amount of peer pressure involved too, if girls don't go to things, we call them out. That works but can create tension though.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Another thing to look at is WHY people aren't coming to events. For example - was the community service event scheduled on the same day as some other big event (like a campus concert)? Did the whole sorority vote on it or did the philanthropy chair just say "we're doing this, show up here"?

If all that's taken into account, I think that things like taking away privileges like attending formal or mixers work better than fines. The girls who can afford to pay them will just do it and not care, and the girls who can't afford to pay them - well, you can't get blood from a turnip.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a mandatory philanthropy every month which everyone is well aware of. However, we voted on working with this agency (Adoption RI) and then asked people to sign up to work the events that they could attend. The five girls signed up and then backed out (one sent me a text message 30 minutes before she was supposed to be there). The event was only to take place from 4 until 7 and as far as I know there were no other events except for them leaving for Montreal this morning (4 of the 5). This is our first semester on campus so we have not yet had formals or mixers so unfortunately those ideas won't work.

We are having an officer meeting on Wed to discuss this, because it is not the first time it has happened. So, we will see what we can come up with!

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Another thing to look at is WHY people aren't coming to events. For example - was the community service event scheduled on the same day as some other big event (like a campus concert)? Did the whole sorority vote on it or did the philanthropy chair just say "we're doing this, show up here"?

If all that's taken into account, I think that things like taking away privileges like attending formal or mixers work better than fines. The girls who can afford to pay them will just do it and not care, and the girls who can't afford to pay them - well, you can't get blood from a turnip.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Instead of a "penalty" system, why not reinforce good behavior instead?

I mentioned this a super long time ago in a similar thread, but I can't seem to find it... anyway, a few years ago, my chapter instituted what was something called "Pi Points" (or something to that effect)

There was a huge posterboard with everyone's name and columns with each of the mandatory events (meetings, study hours, etc). Each type of mandatory event had a certain number of points associated with it and for the fun events (formals, etc) only members with a certain number of points could attend. It worked really well... and towards the end, if there were sisters who were on the cusp of having enough points, they could get "bonus" points by doing things no one else wanted to do (like polish the silver.. haha) with the permission of exec and the advisors.

I think it worked well because it is a crappy feeling to get left out of something. I can recall one event that everyone was loading the buses to go to and a few girls had to stay behind at the house because they didn't make any efforts to participate in anythng else all semester.

Fines typically do not work. Remember these are college kids, and if they REALLY don't want to do something, they would much rather fork over the $25 instead.

Last edited by texas*princess; 11-18-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Another option is a point system, where every event has a point value and every sister is required to earn a certain # of points in order to participate in certain "extras" (like taking a Little Sis, going to a social event or formal).In addition, there are also consequences for not making points.There are some examples of point systems in this thread:

Help with attendance!

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a positive point system. While we have mandatory events (certain philanthropies, recruitment, etc.), most of everything factors into a positive point system. Going to chapter gives you points, going to philanthropies gives you more points, etc. At the end of the year, you need so many points to attend formal (and the same goes for semi-formal). In essence, it encourages sisters to participate by rewarding and not penalizing them. However, attendance is always an issue to a certain degree, and I agree, it's unacceptable for people to not come. I would suggest coming up with a positive points type system. PM me if you'd like more information. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the great ideas!!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I like the point idea a lot. My chapter imposed fines and I was too poor to have paid them, plus I enjoyed going to stuff so I never had to pay any. The problem for us was actually getting girls to pay them. No one took them seriously to begin with. I think requiring a certain number of points to attend Formal (an event everyone wants to go to) is a great idea and probably would have worked well for our chapter.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Fines actually work very well. If not, how about sister of the week? We brought it back this semester. After a meeting, you go around and ask everyone who and why a certain sister should be sister of the week. they then cast their vote and put a quarter in the bin. Whoever wins sister of the week wins all the quarters. It may seem dumb and cheesy, but it makes that sister feel good and its just nice to hear each other say nice things. Boosts morale and inspires sisters to go above and beyond.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Do not, however, retroactively impose fines without telling members before the event that they would be charged for not attending. That happened in our chapter, and people were not happy.
Mrs. Lovett: You're barking mad! Killing a man what done ya no harm! Sweeney Todd: He recognized me from the old days. Tried to blackmail me. Half me earnings. Mrs. Lovett: Oh, well that's a different matter then. For a moment there I thought you lost your marbles.