GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,680
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zhaleyunior7165
» Online Users: 753
0 members and 753 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Events

Hi everyone. I posted this question in a thread and got a couple of comments but thought I would get more of a discussion (hopefully) with a new thread. I am attending Virginia Tech this spring and they have deffered recruitment. All of their greek events to meet the sororities are in the fall so I am missing them all!!! I was wondering does it hurt my chances for recruitment because they have already choosen the girls they want from these events?? I am not fully sure how competitive it is, but it seems like there are many girls trying since VT is a big school. Thanks for any feedback you can give!! Sorry if this is a repeat of any sorts, there are so many threads to go though! Thanks again!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs. Get recs to the groups. There are 13 NPC sororities on that campus so you definitely want to put yourself out there. 2 recs are preferable.

DISCLAIMER since I do not attend nor do I have much knowlege about Virginia Tech. You might be at a slight disadvantage since you are missing all the fall events but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I believe I posted a comment to your original post within another thread.

I'm roughly familiar with VT recruitment but not very. As in, my house mom's daughter was Greek there and told me about her experiences and my chapter did a joint recruitment event with the VT Pi Phi chapter.

My impression is that not attending Greek events might hurt you slightly but not overly much.

The bigger issue is that you haven't been getting to know any women there at parties, club events, etc. But maybe you know some from HS...?

I would say not to worry about it too much. There is nothing you can do to fix the situation, you know? Focus on getting recs and improving the aspects of your recruitment resume that you can control, like having a great transfer-in GPA, etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a few friends who joined chapters at VT. Recs are less important at VT than other schools in the ACC (Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVa, etc). If you know (personally) alumnae of sororities at VT or collegians from other chapters (in some cases), go ahead and ask them to write you a rec. Asking 2 ladies per NPC at your local alumnae panhellenic to write you recs might be a waste of your time. Don't get me wrong, recs can't hurt, but there will be little payoff for those efforts.

Do you have any friends from high school in sororities at VT? Do you have any friends who are going through recruitment next semester at VT? How far is VT from your current school? If you're not too far, and you get the chance during a long weekend/fall break, I'd visit your friends in sororities (if they are good friends, you don't want it to look thinly-veiled) and/or visit any friends who are going through to go to some events this semester. If you can't visit any friends in sororities at VT, at least call them or chat online to put yourself on their radar.

While these events do give chapters some idea of who they may be interested in, the idea is to spread interest in going Greek throughout the whole semester; that one girl will sign up and bring a couple friends to XYZ's philanthropy event, and they'll want to sign up too.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually don't know any girls at VT..that's One reason I was interested in joining a sorority. So I dont really know anyone to get recs from either. None of my friends were into getting into a sorority except one and its not one they have at VT. I am older (22) and a sophomore. Would I just be wasting my time to go though recruitment??
Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is in a chapter at VT. She went through recruitment a few years ago as a sophomore. Based on her experience, I don't think being unable to go to fall events should affect your decision to go through recruitment. I'm pretty sure she didn't attend these events, and I know she didn't know many girls in sororities. She also went through recruitment to meet people, and it has been great for her.

I think it is right that recs are less important at VT. The recruitment materials said recs were unnecessary, and she took them at their word (I was dying--had friends and relatives ready to write them, plus I had been reading Greek Chat, but Mom can only nag so much!), and apparently that was correct. She had a very successful recruitment and has been very happy with where she ended up. Her roommate also went through as a sophomore and joined a different group.

The best advice is something you will read over and over on Greek Chat--keep an open mind! The group that is best for your friends or that you hear about in campus chatter may not be the best for you. I asked my daughter how she knew which one was right, and she said that after the parties with the group she joined, she couldn't remember what they had talked about; she only remembered she had had a great time.