GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 2,388
0 members and 2,388 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I know. I was looking into the colony because I was thinking that maybe it wasn't right for me to join the other sororities. I still feel bad I missed 3. That's why I'm think I might still wait until sophomore year and re-rush. I was simply curious about the new colony and wanted to know more about how it works.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Just go and check it out. Almost nobody has a perfect rush where they get to make all the decisions, so not feeling like you got a sufficient introduction to all the chapters is really common. You have to make some decisions in life based on only partial information. If it feels like a good choice for you, then go for it. Don't hedge based on what might be out there in the future. Potential and actual outcome are not the same thing and nobody can tell you if you waited for rush next year that your outcome would be any different.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Just go and check it out. Almost nobody has a perfect rush where they get to make all the decisions, so not feeling like you got a sufficient introduction to all the chapters is really common.
It's a little beyond that. She didn't go to the parties of three sororities. Honestly, I would check out the colony and if it "clicks" then go for it, but you might be better off going through formal rush again and going to all the groups.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

This might be a dumb question.... But recruitment is scheduled WAY in advance. I understand sports practice or something, but why does it seemso hard for people to ask off from work in advance? Every job I've ever had was pretty good about scheduling around requested days off if they were given notice adequately ahead of time.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
This might be a dumb question.... But recruitment is scheduled WAY in advance. I understand sports practice or something, but why does it seemso hard for people to ask off from work in advance? Every job I've ever had was pretty good about scheduling around requested days off if they were given notice adequately ahead of time.
Because some people don't make up their minds to rush until the last minute. And when I was in college, even as a sorority member, employers gave me a very hard time about taking time off for recruitment. I ended up having to quit a job. It was a part time job, and very easy to find another; whereas I could not afford the fines that would have been imposed if I missed recruitment. I think everyone's experience is different, and I'm glad you were able to get time off easily!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

And 18 year olds are not known as a group to be the best time-managers. You would have to think ahead on this, maybe even 2 or more weeks, to get it resolved at work and that's something a lot of kids (not necessarily the OP) are just not prepared to think about.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

What everyone said is true, I only signed up for rush about 2 weeks before and I couldn't take off time from work because I'm new to my job and I haven't built up enough sick time yet. I can only call in for emergencies right now. Also I needed to go to work to be able to pay for a lot of stuff including the sorority so I felt missing wouldn't be an option.

My rho gamma assured me that missing because of work wouldn't be that bad and that if I had to miss a day it should be the day we met all the sororities. She told me preference night was the most important so I was planning on calling in that day.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Something to keep in mind: as with any other chapter, the colony will have things you're required to attend as well (should you receive a bid.) I'd make sure you can commit to it with your work schedule.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Joining a colony, from my observations, seems to require more time than joining an already established chapter. Now that you're more settled into your job, KSUViolet is right, you need to make damn sure you have the ability to take/request days off for mandatory colony meetings and events.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirellestar View Post
What everyone said is true, I only signed up for rush about 2 weeks before and I couldn't take off time from work because I'm new to my job and I haven't built up enough sick time yet. I can only call in for emergencies right now. Also I needed to go to work to be able to pay for a lot of stuff including the sorority so I felt missing wouldn't be an option.
And that is why you ask off in advance when you know you have something going on that you would like to attend, NOT call in at the last minute so other people have to cover your work. By asking off in advance you at least give your managers the ability to see if things can be shuffled around to cover you being gone - or if the schedule hasn't been posted yet, change around days off and such before others have made plans for their days off. Members of colonies have many things going on, most known in advance some a bit at the last minute because they couldn't be planned in advance. IF you get a bid you may have to take the calendar in to your managers and go over it with them so arrangements can be made (and mention the mandatory versus optional events).
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Those circumstances still exist since you still haven't gone to all the sororities and you didn't get the one you really wanted. What makes going to a colony different? Is it because they aren't the low tier sorority that wanted you in formal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryana View Post
And that is why you ask off in advance when you know you have something going on that you would like to attend, NOT call in at the last minute so other people have to cover your work. By asking off in advance you at least give your managers the ability to see if things can be shuffled around to cover you being gone - or if the schedule hasn't been posted yet, change around days off and such before others have made plans for their days off. Members of colonies have many things going on, most known in advance some a bit at the last minute because they couldn't be planned in advance. IF you get a bid you may have to take the calendar in to your managers and go over it with them so arrangements can be made (and mention the mandatory versus optional events).
O.k, well at least now I'll know what to do in the future. Like I said, I'm new to the job and I don't know exactly how things work yet